Aspire E 15 wifi dropping

twindle
twindle Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 2023 in 2018 Archives

My friend's Aspire E 15 keeps dropping from the wireless AP. I've tried:

1. Updating the drivers

2. Disabling the OS's ability to turn off the adapter to save power

3. Throttling the connection to strictly 802.11b

It's dropping even though she sits within 15 feet of the AP. None of the other devices connecting to the AP have a problem. I don't think it's a loose antenna because I've tried shaking the laptop gently from different angles to see if that would disconnect it, and it didn't.  Further, and curiously, she has the same number of bars for reception from 1 foot away from the AP, and when on the other side of the house. It dropped her twice in a 30 minute period while I was there.  She has to manually reconnect to the AP for some reason.  Windows 10.

Any ideas?

Answers

• Karp-Acer_Retired
    Karp-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 2,599 Guru

If you are able to connect to wireless, but the connection drops or the speed is slow, you probably do not have a hardware problem. There may be other factors that are causing the slow speeds or frequent disconnect. Try the steps below to see if they resolve your issue.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32747#_ga=1.223329688.2050411030.1468606205

minimizar para MAXIMIZAR.

Descubra a mais recente e inovadora tecnologia que chegará no mercado, next@acer.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

At the moment Windows 10 have a problem since the last anniversary update, I do have the same problem and if I find a fix I'll let you know.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

Go to Settings, System and in Default Apps, switch to Windows Media Player from Grove Music( if it's the default), It looks good for my inernet connection so far.

• WPGtech
    WPGtech Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Aspire E 15-5110 Wipeless network drops within the first 2 mon. after reboting a couple times it may or may not work. Laptop is rarely used and is up to date for windows updates. Has win 10 and verified from acer.com has the latest up to date drivers for chipset, bios, wireless everything. If I disable the wifi adapter and plug in an external USB wifi adapter the internet works fine.

I suspect its a hardware issue but its 2 years and 10 days old so no warranty coverage or possibility to chat without paying. 

Any ideas? 

I think my next step is to order a replacement wifi card off ebay and replace it. see if thats the problem.

I'm disappointed with acer's warranty service. I like the laptop but I'm surprised that something as essential as wireless connectivity would fail on a laptop that is almost new and unused.

• cryptospore
    cryptospore Member Posts: 2 New User

I have copied this link from "Acer-Karp acer crew" into two different browsers and it fails. Please check and update or correct as the indicated advice does not seem to be on the acer site via this link.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32747#_ga=1.223329688.2050411030.1468606205

I have the same symptoms with a brand new Aspire E15.  It repeatedly drops without moving it. It will also then not be able to locate any wifi networks which is strange. The only way to remedy is to reboot the machine.  At first turning of wifi with with the wifi button and back on would accasionally get it to come back on. But even that  no longer seems to work. It's as if the whole wifi configuration is messed up. Also these problems will always occur when resuming from sleep.  I am considering returning the laptop if this cannot be resolved as it's only a couple months old. Have run all the acer checks and all the updates are current.  No other device in my home has this problem so I'm not even considering the the wireless router has an issue.

• twindle
    twindle Member Posts: 2 New User

My solution was to get a USB wifi stick and use that instead.  It's annoying the built in wifi drops all of the time, and it is clerly related to the specific device since it works flawlessly with a USB wifi dongle. I find it sort of annoying the tech here seems to imply it's something else.

• cryptospore
    cryptospore Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks twindle. It is ridiculous to buy another wifi for a new computer. Will see if ACER support has anything useful this week otherwise will start the warranty process.

• ewscos
    ewscos Member Posts: 2 New User
    switching the band from abg to just bg seems to have worked for me.