Aspire E 15 E5-575G Coil whine

abuleberry
abuleberry Member Posts: 5 New User

Greetings, I have recently brought an Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575G-53VG from Amazon. I have noticed a fairly high pitch coil whine from the upper part of the trackpad. The whine is especialy noticble when the charger is unpluged or when the trackpad is touched. The coil whine is loudest the laptop is unpluged AND touchpad is touched.

I believe that I have the Synaptics touchpad but cannot comfirm, as device manager lists the touch pad as HID-compliant mouse.

As for Windows, I have fresh install windows 10 and applied the anniversary update. 

Answers

• lifo
    lifo Member Posts: 18 New User

May I ask if you have experienced any lag/sluggish mouse movement using touchpad afer Anniversary Update? I've the same model, but touchpad is Elan(https://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/Windows-10-Anniversary-Update-makes-touchpad-unusable/m-p/451171#U451171).

Anyway, coil whine sounds like HW problem to me...

• abuleberry

The touchpad is quite stuttery, I've tried installing drivers from both synaptics and acer's website but that didn't change anything.

Also, where can I find the factory image for my laptop? I mistakenly wiped the image on the drive, and nothing shows up under the OS tab on the drivers dl section

• lifo
    lifo Member Posts: 18 New User

Well then you have the same problem as me and few other people on community forum(but i think everybody with this model and Anniversary Update is affected). Plus you have an annoying coil whine...

Sorry, but I can't help you with that. Stuttering is defenitley a driver problem, but coil whining could be HW. We could exclude one if Acer would be so kind and finally released new drivers. Until then, who knows...

I communicated with support and they provided me with either ridiculous solutions or conforming talk that drivers are on the way. Of course with no ETA Smiley Very Happy

As for Windows image -> https://www.microsoft.com/en/software-download/windows10

• abuleberry

Well, the coil whine is fairly high pitch. My roommates can't hear it so it only annoys me.  Smiley Sad

• bobofchicago
    bobofchicago Member Posts: 1 New User

Ugh, mine has the same whine, and after installing a solid state drive, IT'S ALL I HEAR NOW.

I'm trying to see if disabling it the pad and just using a mouse helps, but it reinstalls the drivers everytime. 

Might have to physically unplug the thing at this rate  >: |

• Supun
    Supun Member Posts: 1 New User

I can't found Synapitcs for "Aspire E 15 E5-575G-54U7 7th Gen"  and please found it. 

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

Supun wrote:

I can't found Synapitcs for "Aspire E 15 E5-575G-54U7 7th Gen"  and please found it. 

Hi,

Go to Device Manager(right click windows logo), expand Network adapters, Human Interface devices, post the snip of your Device manager section covering those two sections, thanks.

• oskar03
    oskar03 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi guys, is this still a problem for you?  I purchased the Aspire E 15 E5-575G-53VG laptop from Amazon and have the same coil whine you describe.  After some trial and error I discovered that the whine was kicking in when the CPU clock was spiking over 2GHz (as noted from the task manager CPU performance utility). Once I changed the power setting to "power saver" in the control panel, the whine completely went away.  However, the CPU clock will then max out at only around 800MHz, which isn't fast enough.  Switched the power options to "high performance" to confirm the issue and the whine came back even louder, because the CPU was constantly maxing out at ~2.8GHz.  In my case at least, it appears that it's CPU clock related.  I have played around with setting the max CPU usage in the "balanced" power plan to 80%, and that gets rid of most of the whine too, but again it compromises power.  I'm curious to see if this is the same case with yours, if you change the power settings as I did, because if so I probably won't bother requesting a replacement under warranty. I'll conclude that it's just the way these units are made.

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

I never noticed a whine issue with my e5-575g-527j. Wonder if related to skylake vs kabylake cpu's? Mine on 7th gen Kabylake. Depending on manufacturing date could have either one of those cpu's.

• oskar03

Interesting.  I have the Skylake i5 6200U processor.  It could also be surrounding components when the CPU ramps up, depending on the build quality.  Maybe it affects some units but not all.  Just a guess, who knows..

• oskar03

Some further troubleshooting and research has revealed that it's probably not the CPU itself, but rather the chip that controls the speed step or idle process on the CPU.  The screeching definitely occurs when the CPU's clock jumps right up or even down.  One forum explained how to disable the CPU idle process in the registry and then power management settings.  This got rid of the noise completely, regardless of CPU speed.  However the CPU was running at max speed and utilisation constantly with CPU idle switched off, but no noise.  So it does appear that the clock/speed step controller is what's making the noise, and the chip appears to sit right under the touch pad from observing photos of the underside with the cover off (it looks like it's the iTE chip, but I could be wrong).  I'm no expert, but the issue is pointing in this direction from what I have discovered so far.  Even if the unit is switched out under warranty, I don't suppose you can guarantee that you'd get another without any noise, since this phenomena doesn't seem to be uncommon.  Any thoughts?

• oskar03

A quick update on this..  I reported the issue to Acer support and they asked me to return it under warranty.  I took it in to the Acer service centre and their techs acknowledged the issue and replaced the motherboard.  Coil whine gone.