Aspire 7720 laptop wont update. sfc scan shows corrupt files.

Options
Radicaluser
Radicaluser Member Posts: 7 New User

How do I factory reset a Acer Aspire 7720 laptop with Vista that has no repair prompt when booting f2 f8 f10 f12? It wont boot to dvd's either. When checking for updates it just runs & runs forever.

Also there's no erecovery management tab to click on in the machines Acer folder?

Thank you.

Answers

• benton582
    benton582 Member Posts: 213 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

If the files are corrupt, then it could mean one or two things...

-Your hard drive MIGHT be screwed.

-Your OS is damaged and needs to be recovered.

I reccomend you do a SMART scan and see if there are any problems with your hard drive. Here is one program I use:

http://crystalmark.info/download/index-e.html (Standard Edition, Installer.)

Also. For recovering your computer, follow these steps: http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2631/~/using-recovery-management-outside-of-windows

• Radicaluser
    Options

benton 582,

Read my question again...  I CANT boot to the Acer recovery management screen to start a restore. Anyone know why this is?

Thanks.

Radicaluser.

• benton582
    Options

Instead of booting to Windows. Try following this guide to recover Vista: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/how-do-you-boot-the-recovery-partition-in-vista/a6a610e3-617b-4e65-9e32-f64a256082cb?auth=1

I do not know if you CAN either....Boot into Vista or BIOS. And Crystaldisk utility was suggested, because corrupt files may mean drive damage.

• Radicaluser
    Options

benton 582,

I ran the crystalmark download and got back (( Healts Status ( Good ) in the small blue box )) I also got a bunch of reports i'll never understand but no obvious alerts.

Now still no luck with the F8 or F10 to boot into the repair this computer or getting to the Acer erecovery management green page. Why cant that machine boot into those options? 

I been on at least 15 other sites that all say the same thing about booting to those screens to do the factory restore process.

Also still no luck with the dvd player. It seems not to be reading any disks. Is there anyway to test it?

The checking for updates process ran overnight with no results. Just the green bar graph running and running. Any ideas about that?

Thank You again benton 582

Radicaluser

• Radicaluser
    Options

I had forgot to ask.

Anyone, is there a link I should download here or somewhere that I can download the eRecovery management restore page?

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/122;-;Aspire%207720

Thank You.

• benton582
    Options

Try going in device manager and check your disk drive, it is apperent that Vista recovery REQUIRES a disk, tell me if the computer detects it. You can also manually open it in file explorer-> computer -> DVD drive (Double click it)

To get the recovery disk, follow the steps here: https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/

Again, I am so sorry you have to deal with such a huge problem, I do however, hope it gets better!

• Radicaluser
    Options

benton 582,

The dvd check said this device is working properly.

I don't want a Vista disk or system,  I'm trying to replave vista with Windows 7 ultimate or diamond which I have both disks. Which I tried to boot to cd 50 times.

Again with F8 or F10 why cant I boot to the repair this computer or get the green Acer eRecovery management page tp pop up PLEASE?

Thank You.

Radicaluser.

• benton582
    Options

What the heck is Windows 7 Diamond? Also, when you put in a disk, a folder should pop up with the files. Just send me a snapshot of the disks showing what is in them. If it doesn't work in that computer, try a diffrent one.

eRecovery is probably broken or deleted, or just really hidden well. Check "Disk Management" in Vista to see if the recovery partition is still there.

• Radicaluser
    Options

Windows 7 Diamond is another version of Windows. Google it you'll see.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=windows%207%20diamond

I have no digital camera to send screen shots. Nothing pops up when i try and windows disk or any. I tried a music CD and nothing. I tried a movie DVD and nothing..

Cant I download erecovery with a link like these from Acer?

Category Vendor Description Version Size Date  

LaunchManagerDritekAcer LaunchManager Application2.0.102.6 MB2008/12/08Download
    eDataSecurityAcerAcer eDataSecurity Management Application2.8.436147.3 MB2008/12/04Download
    eDataSecurityAcerAcer eDataSecurity Management Application2.8.435441.4 MB2008/12/04Download
    eFrameworkAcerAcer Empowering Technology Framework2.5.401116.4 MB2008/12/04Download
    eFrameworkAcerAcer Empowering Technology Framework2.5.430118.0 MB2008/12/04Download
    eLockAcerAcer eLock Management Application2.5.40118.4 MB2008/12/04Download
    eLockAcerAcer eLock Management Application2.5.43028.4 MB2008/12/04Download
    eNetAcerAcer eNet Management Application2.6.43049.4 MB2008/12/04Download
    eNetAcerAcer eNet Management Application2.6.40099.2 MB2008/12/04Download
    ePowerAcerAcer ePower Management Application2.5.402511.1 MB2008/12/04Download
    ePowerAcerAcer ePower Management Application2.5.431111.1 MB2008/12/04Download
    ePresentationAcerAcer ePresentation Management Application2.5.40024.0 MB2008/12/04Download
    ePresentationAcerAcer ePresentation Management Application2.5.43005.8 MB2008/12/04Download
    eRecoveryAcerAcer eRecovery Management Application2.5.430415.4 MB2008/12/04Download
    eRecoveryAcerAcer eRecovery Management Application2.5.401515.3 MB2008/12/04Download
    eSettingAcerAcer eSetting Management Application2.5.43028.2 MB2008/12/04Download
    eSettingAcerAcer eSetting Management Application2.5.40168.2 MB2008/12/04Download

Thanks.

• Radicaluser
    Options

I checked the disk management partition as you suggested. There's all kinds of things listed and 2 about partitions on disks but I didn't see anything having to do with Acer recovery management. It could be I don't know exactly what to look for.

Is there anyway we can hook up remotely and you look into the laptop? That might help find the problem.

I'm on my desktop talking with you about the laptop problems. 

I should mention I'm able to go on the internet no problem with the troubled laptop with no troubles so that's why I was wondering if we can hook up online and you look into the machine.

I'm concerned a'lot of these problems are related to not being able to do updates. When I go to start scans it says that no scans or updates have been performed since August 2014. Why would this be?

Thank You.

Why cant I run updates automatically or manually?

• benton582
    Options

OHHH. You mean update using windows update? That's because the OS already left Windows Mainstream Support. Currently it is on extended support. Meaning that automatic updates are now disabled because the OS edition reached END OF LIFE, meaning automatic updates have ceased. 

Click here for more: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet