Acer es1-431 does not detect headphones and is not listed under playback devices

chaosfirebit
chaosfirebit Member Posts: 6 New User

I bought the laptopp a few days ago but for some reason it does not detect the headphones. I have the Realtek drivers installed and it still does not detect the headphones. When I clicked "playback devices" there is no headphones listed .... please help.

Capture.PNG

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

What headphone model do you have? Have you used them with other laptops?

• chaosfirebit

I have the Razer Hammerhead earphones. The earphones work fine in my friends macbook and my ipod but not with this laptop

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

That's two Apple products. Can you try them in another PC?

Try the Windows 10 audio troubleshooter

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-sound-problems#v1h=tab03

• chaosfirebit

Tried it on my desktop and the earphones work. I tried the link you gave me and it did not detect any errors relating to the earphones. I assume this is a hardware problem, im going to the acer service center to determine if its hardware related. Will report back here.

• chaosfirebit

Acer Philippine service center would not honor my warranty because I bought it from Australia, even the internationals warranty is not valid because I need to be an Australian citizen .They said I need to fly out of the Philippines and go back to Australia inorder for the warranty to be valid........ Acer, you just lost yourself a customer.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi chaosfirebit,

I apologize for the back and forth on this. I'll highlight the issue internally however, the International Travelers Warranty is not designed to transfer warranty services from one region to another, with that said, I'd hope they could help do simple troubleshooting.

A couple of thoughts I have are;

• Just to get the dumb question out of the way, are we sure we're plugging in the hearphones and not the microphone jack?
    • Do you get any kind of notification when you plug the headphones in? Windows should notice visually and audibly that something is connected.
    • Do other headphones work by chance?
    • Try uninstalling the audio driver, rebooting and see if that changes anything. You may need to reinstall the Audio driver off of our website. Here is that link

Thanks,
    Cory

• chaosfirebit

Just got an email notification and suprised to see the admin but oh well.

• First of all the Acer es1-431 has only one audio socket. There is a headphone logo just right beside the socket therefore im pretty sure that I inserted it right. I even checked if there was something stuck in the socket, unsuprisingly there was none.
    • There are no notifications when I inserted the earphone, the "sound window" is still on speakers mode even with the earphones plugged in.

Capture.JPG

• My ipod, cherrymobile and samsung earphones do not work. External speakers plugged in do not also work.
    • I uninstalled the realtek drivers several times from the device manager and the "programs and features". Yes I have tried the official drivers from realtek and also from the one you gave me but they do not work....none of them work including the default microsoft drivers.
    • One thing to note is there are no "advance settings" in the realtek manager. Browsing different forums told me that you could make the laptop detect the earphones via advance settings. Problem is: ACER removed the advanced settings which should be located at the top right of the realtek manager. I am a bit dissapointed, even with the countless bloatware installed for "more features", Acer actually had to remove the one I needed the most.
  • Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

I've tested ES1-431 and another Windows 10 device, they don't show "headphones" on the sound when I've got my headphones plugged in. That may be an assumption someone made, but it is not correct.

Last suggestion I have is a bit extreme, but it would be to do a full system recovery. This would basically rule out any possible chance of it being software. Normally, I'd say you you've done everything and likely have a hardware failure, but I can't remember the last time I saw an actual failure with a headphone jack that didn't involve damage.

Cory

• chaosfirebit

I already have tried refreshing the PC via f11 (that was the first thing I did) . Dual booting with Ubuntu does not work as well therefore im sure that it is hardware related. Afterall, the builtin speakers of the laptop works fine (therefore the drivers as well) just not the audiosocket.

Anyways I also have already talked to my uncle who is going to Australia to have my laptop refunded (Going to buy a new one). Thanks for the help... all of you.