Acer E5-522 85E1 Windows 10 touchpad issue

Options
forster
forster Member Posts: 9 New User

Hello!

I have a problem regarding the drivers and software for the Synaptics touchpad (stated on the model page) in WIndows 10 64-bit.

The touchpad appears as

HID\VID_06CB&PID_2970&REV_0008&Col01
HID\VID_06CB&PID_2970&Col01
HID\VID_06CB&UP:0001_U:0002

in the Device Manager but its name states 'HID-compliant mouse' and has standard Windows drivers. Installing the Synaptics drivers on Acer's page or those found on the Synaptics website doesn't do anything (it stays as 'HID-compliant mouse').

I wanted to ask if circular scrolling is supported on this version (if somehow the Synaptics software gets installed), and if you guys ran into this problem before, with the device with this Hardware ID. It's not ELANtech, I checked those drivers out too.

Thanks in advance!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

The 'HID-compliant mouse' is not the touchpad. If you have a USB mouse plugged in and disable 'HID-compliant mouse', the USB mouse will no longer work, but the touchpad will. The touchpad will be the second item in Mice or it will be under Human Interface Devices.

• forster
    Options

Unfortunately, the touchpad does indeed appear as a "HID-compliant mouse"—when I connect another mouse, two HID-compliant mice appear in the Device Manager. And no amount of installing drivers helps with this issue.

• philetus
    Options

Uninstall the Synaptic driver in Control Panel/ Programs and Features and try installing this driver

Windows 10 PS/2 and SMBus Devices v19.0.19.1
  • forster
    Options

Unfortunately, this did nothing, the touchpad remained as a HID-compliant mouse, and no Synaptics software can be found in the "Programs and Features" (no matter how much I tried to install the Synaptics software, I've never had it in the Control Panel).

Also, on a forum I've read that in this case the BIOS type might be an issue (not detecting the touchpad as a touchpad). Originally, I installed Windows 10 on a legacy BIOS, but then I reinstalled it on UEFI, and the problem persists.

• forster
    Options

By the way, is this touchpad hardware even manufactured by Synaptics? How could I find out based on the Hardware ID?

• philetus
    Options

There is only one touchpad driver listed for E5-522  and it is Synaptic.

If you google the hardware ID +driver, it will show Synaptic.

• forster
    Options

Then, I don't understand why Syanptics driver kits never install drivers or other software on this notebook, and why the default Microsoft Mouse driver from 2006 is the only one that gets recognized by the system as a match for the touchpad.