Acer Aspire M goes to sleep on its own while I am using it. How do I stop this? Please help!

bfw22
bfw22 Member Posts: 3 New User

Acer Aspire M goes to sleep on its own while I am using it. How do I stop this? Please help! It is extremely frustrating as I have to log in again to many of the programs. I use it for work and can't seem to find a solution online. Please help! Thank you!!!

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

You could have pick up some malware that is doing it. Run free Malwarebytes.https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Check to see if your screen saver is set to "Blank." If so, change it to "None."

If you don't use sleep 

Go to Control Panel>Hardware And Sound>Power Option>Change when the computer sleeps>Click Never>Ok

• bfw22

Thank you, Philetus. I really appreciate it. I gave your suggestion a try and was hoping that did the trick, but it just did it again. Any other ideas? Thank you again.

• philetus

When you say it goes to sleep while you are using it, what are you doing?

• bfw22

I am usually working with PPT, Excel, Word, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Snaggit, and a browser of some sort (usually Chrome, Edge or IE).

I also have to run a remote desktop for work via a VPN. The work I do requires a lot of switching back and forth between each program.

I do have a second monitor hooked up to my laptop if that matters, but have had the second monitor for a long time and this never used to happen.

If i stop typing or clicking for a few seconds, it will sometimes just go into sleep mode. It is rare (maybe a 3-4 times a week), but extremely frustrating as I am often logged out of the VPN or the programs I am using through the VPN. Thank you again for the help on this, Philetus! 

• philetus

I would suggest uninstalling and reinstalling the Acer Power Manager, but finding a download is not an option.

If you still have your Recovery partitions, it may be there.

In  Power Options, I set my laptop to never dim the display and never sleep and I can still put it to sleep with the power button. That's not a fix, but it works.