wifi problem with brand new E5-575G

Options
Texas1955
Texas1955 Member Posts: 1 New User

i have a brand new E5-575G, but i have a wifi issue.  I can connect OK to my home router (Verizon/Frontier Actiontec), but my download speed (via various speedtest websites) averages about 2.0 Mbps and my upload averages about 25.0 Mbps.   My old laptop (5+ years old) averages about 50/40, and my iphone 6 plus averages about 65/50 from the same location.  My desktop is a wired connection, and usually gets about 90/90.

i know that the Actiontec does not have 802.11ac, but that shouldn't matter since everything is backwards compatible. 

i spent over an hour with Acer customer assistance, and did all the usual things:

• uninstalled the adapter, and then reinstalled it
  • updated the driver
  • updated and refreshed windows 10

Help!  i've got a great new toy but the internet connection is sooooo sloooow.  any ideas?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

You could try few things, try changing the DNS address to Opendns or googledns:

Open Network and sharing centre(right click WiFi icon in taskbar), click your WiFi adapter, click Properties, highlight Internet Protocol Version4 and click properties, select "Use the following DNS server address" radio button, enter the new address and OK.

Open DNS: 208.67.222.222, secondary 208.67.220.220

GoogleDNS: 8.8.8.8,  secondary 8.8.4.4

HTH.

• Pavement
    Pavement Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I have  the same setup ay home and a different E5 laptop.  I also have almost the identical problem(including the old laptop that works fine).

Try disabling WMM (QOS and power saving) in the router Wireless settings->Advanced security settings->Other Advanced Wireless Options).  I did that and instantly everything worked fine on the Acer.  I haven't had a chance to research any other impacts, but I'll take having a function wifi connection while I do the research!