"power surge on the USB port" error message upon start up after 2 weeks of non-use. Soft boot resul

Options
digitalren
digitalren Member Posts: 7 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hi folks,

I seem to be encountering an issue that was raised a year ago elsewhere on this forum.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/Aspire-E5-573G-USB-3-0-quot-Power-Surge-on-the-USB-Port-quot/td-p/400731

That thread has been dangling without any kind of resolution, so I'm currently at a loss of what to do.  A bit of googling suggests this problem is essentially cosmetic and the laptop itself isn't really damaged.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN301114

But then again Dell isn't responsible for Acer products.  I'm wondering if anyone else has come across the same problem and/or can suggest anything I can try to correct the reason for the pop up message.

There is another, perhaps more serious problem, though.  Such as things are, I can't seem to do any "soft boots" that doesn't involve completely shutting  down the computer first.   If I try to restart it from the start menu, it'll simply hang at the logo splash screen.  I'll have to do a power down and cold boot it.  This is very worrying and I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it.  Any insights are appreciated.  I'll try my best to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks in advance.

Ren

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew
    Options

For the power surge issue try unplugging the system, removing the battery (where possible) and:

1. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power.
    2. Connect the AC adapter and power on the system

If this does not resolve the issue we would recommend repair for the power surge error as there is no software setting or switch that addresses this error. 

For the stuck on reboot issue there is some info posted here that may be helpful. This could be hardware or software so we would recommend you back up your data if you can, as a restore may be the fix.

• JO_HERI89
    JO_HERI89 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    i have the same problem... acer switch alpha 12 cant project to lcd projector..