problems booting a Acer Aspire E1-531

Options
Brucelee1
Brucelee1 Member Posts: 13 New User

Hi,

I am trying to boot a Acer Aspire E1-531 Intel B960 2mb L3 cache 2.2 Ghz 6gb DDR3 ram500gb Hdd   for my friend as it had become slower and slower , it had tried to install windowns 10.

but this did not work correctly

She has brought it to me to have a look and all its doing is when you start it , I get scanning and reparing drive C and the windows circle spinning round furthest i have got it to is 45%

then i get black screen reboots then shuts down

I suspect corrupted OS or errors on disc

Do these laptops not come with support discs and

No win 8 key

I cant get into the firmware by pressing ESC or any of the F keys

Any help please or does it look like I will need to install Win 8 from scratch I have a disc in 32 and 64 bit is this lappy 64 bit

thanks

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Support/recovery disks-USB media must be created by user in the first days of use (normally a pop-up/reminder is triggered from system)

windows key are embedded on BIOS, so it will automatically read by windows 10 or 8 if version matches (8 home- 10 home; 10 PRO - 8 PRO)

Reading your report, it looks more an HDD issue but...can also be an OS issue too, as you mentioned.

if you need a windows 8 media to boot and have an HDD/OS check:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Brucelee1
    Options
    Hi Iron fly I have spoken to Acer. The laptop is not mine its a friends. She asjed me have a look. Iciuldnt get access properly it took full 2 dats ro get it come on. Then I mabaged delete briwsing history. Disk clean up. Before i could stop it. It began to install win10. She said it crashed a few weeks ago trying ti indtall 10. So i think OS been cirryoted. Then half way through re instaling windows T restart point it didnt restart again just the acer logo spinning round. Then it started disk repair and scan crashed again at about 45% then back to Acer spinning logo this time stuck on that. I have contacted Acer and she is goung buy retore disc about £50 so she doing that. Cheers fir your help let yiu knowbif that sorts it. I made an Iso of win7.1 and was going try that but was woriied it wouldnt find the key in bios once installed. Thanks again for replying
  • Brucelee1
    Options
    Sorry for typos using phone. Fat fingers syndrome
  • IronFly
    Options
    Don't install windows 7, wait for the recovery disks.
  • Brucelee1
    Options

Hi

I  tried the 5 x recovery discs as she has just brought them, I booted from the first disc marked bootable and followed the acer recovery and after it had started it then asks for each of the discs marked recovery in turn and then when its installed all 3 a command prompt box comes up saying its transferring files then it stops tells me its failed and ejects the disc I have tried a few times and still it wont install and now has probably erased her data for nothing and cost £50 in the process.

It gives you 2 options one erases just C drive or the one marked ACER partition and the other basically installs everyhting from scratch.

I tried the first option 3 times and it says img path could not be found

I tried the 2nd option and it says delete all files first

anyone got any ideas

If it was up to me I would try earasing all data on drive then just installing windows using a ISO disc for win 8

Any help or advice appreciated

Thanks

• IronFly
    Options

you need to completly wipe your HDD
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
    download the .iso file
    then use a software to burn CD/DVD or USB flash drive and burn the .iso file
    once done, put the CD/DVD/USB on your PC, boot from CD/USB (maybe you need to boot under Legacy if you have UEFI BIOS)
    press F12 at boot and choose CD or USB
    at the desktop
    select your HDD
    right click on your HDD icon and choose delete all partitions and click on yes and then apply
    http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/delete-all-partitions.html#howto

• Brucelee1
    Options

Hi Iron fly

I will try what you have suggested

I have 5 discs from Acer one is a language pack, 1 a bootable disc and the other 3 numbered 1 -3 are recovery but when it had gone through process and a CMD box came up it said couldnt find the Img path

I will try what you have suggested

Thanks for the help at this point anything is worth a try as its not doing much now

Regards will get back to you shortly

• Brucelee1
    Options

Hi Iron Fly

I have used the partition wizard in legacy bios as you suggested wouldnt work in the other mode I erasde all partititions and then I tried again first installing the bootable disc then followed the recovery management software as it requests the discs in order then the CMD box comes up saying extracting image

Progress stops at 1% each time and then says critical something or other and then ejects disc and a warining box comes up saying failed to find the IMG Path M. restart which then leaves me again with laptop saying no bootable device

I am now trying again but wiping the disc with the 3rd option to fill all sectors with zero and one

it says its a slow process

On the recovery management software it gives you 2 options

do I use the first or second option which has to have all data deleted as I have done and tried?

sorry if I am using incorrect terminology but I am a novice compared to you

Thanks for your help and advice

regards

• IronFly
    Options

if the error you mention is  restore failed - Can not find image path:m:\recoveryimage\install.wim

i suspect a problem with your recovery media disks:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Recovery-Error-can-t-find-the-image-path-M-RecoveryImage-install/td-p/345550

By the way, it was an old issue, i would try to call Acer support service and have a new set of disk sent.

in the worst case, you can try to install windows 8.1 or 10, downloading from Microsoft servers.

• Brucelee1
    Options

Hi Iron Fly,

Thanks for getting back to me

Yes it is the M Path you mention

The discs are new and only arrived the other day from Acer so you suspect them to be faulty.

Just to confirm I am doing things correct I have used the partition wizard you kindly gave me the link to the Iso

I have been into bios changed to the legacy Bios sometimes I notice it says hard drive frozen possibly due to bios changes

but i shut down remove battery and then it shows it as clear for HDD

I select the legacy and f12 boot option enabled check the D2D is enabled then save changes shut down

Load the partition wizard

I select the drive and delete all partitions

Second time I tried I also opted to erase disc using method 3 which took hours then I

applied it did what it was supposed to

Left me with a unallocated drive no partitions

At this point do i need to selct 100% for the C drive or should there be a some for a D drive

Then I shut down back into bios and select the original Bios cant think of it now not the legacy the other save changes shut down

then i load the bootable disc 1/1

then once it does that it asks for the RCD 1 and then 2 and finally 3

at this point a CMD box comes up saying extracting IMG I think from N to M it start 0% then 1% at this point seems to freeze says its failed then I get the second warning box saying Failed to find the M Path as you suggest

Can you see anything wrong in the way I am doing it if not do you think its the recovery discs

and not a HDD

When She first brought it I could get it on after hours

then as I was cleaning internet options, disc clean up etc it tried to install win10

then from then it got worse couldnt load windows

now I am left with no bootable device install boot media or something of that nature

I will have a look at the link the recovery manager it tries to install is V9.0.23

It does the whole process but as its extracting the IMG

it fails

I will get her call support as I said i am trying fix for a friend

I dont have Acer i have contacted them on her behalf by the chat aqnd thats how he tried to show me alt and f10 etc but I had already tried that after being on here and reading your posts

Its just failed again and says

What you have typed in your last post

Can not find image path M:\RecoveryImage\install wim

• IronFly
    Options
    When you switch BIOS back to UEFI, please check that your HDD password is not set to frozen on BIOS.
    If so you need to clear that frozen status.
    http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32674/~/bios-password-frozen

If you still have issues, i would try another HDD too.
  • Brucelee1
    Options

Hi Ironfly

Yes it is showing as frozen

I have tried to remove the frozen status as you suggested and following the link you have provided

I set password save and exit

then as rebooting press F2 again back in still showing as frozen

and then clear supervisor password

then save and exit it goes into reboot again and then I just hold the power button to shut down is that correct or otherwise it starts to try to boot again

I go back into F2 and it shows clear I shut down reboot

But when I go back in bios again using F2 shows as frozen again

Am I doing something wrong mate

Cheers for all your help and advice

I am tempted to try to install windows 8 by using a ISO disc from Microsoft which I have downloaded and burnt

But I will still need to clear the frozen password status

What effect does the frozen passworrd status have is it blocking me or the computer from doing things

any advice appreciated Ironfly

Regards

• IronFly
    Options

enter BIOS again and press F9 to load defaults and press F10 to save and exit

re-enter BIOS and try to clear HDD password again.

if it doesn't clear, can be an HDD issue.

• Brucelee1
    Options

I have just gone back to legacy bios to remove partitions again

I tried to just install win 8.1 after earasing partitions last time just to see if it would load

It said windows may need to create partitions so I accepted it and it brought all the partitions back so i tried to install Win 8.1 even though it had a warning label said select another drive as this one may fail

So i suspect there could be Issues with HDD

I used the partition wizard to check surface of disc and it showed a fair few errors in reading the blocks

I have then erased partitions again and running wipe method to fill with Zeros

I will give it a last try

and check the Bios again if not going to ask her does she want get another drive to try

and if no go then then get back onto Acer about discs being faulty

This laptop has been a pain

Mine are fairly easy I have all Medion laptops and all come with recovery disc with drivers and Programs on and even original OS on disc

I will try once more with theAcer Discs and Then installing Win8.1 clean install

if not then think its got to be HDD

Cheers Ironfly for all your help

I will keep you upto date

If I solve it ever lol

Thanks again

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• Brucelee1
    Options

Hi Iron Fly tried again a few times

I Managed to clear the forozen bios using the methods You have suggested

Tried the Acer recovery discs again No joy then I tried to just format and erase the C drive and try again still no joy

I tried a Windows 8.! bootable iso disc and it got to the installation page told me wondows may need create partitions

I clicked ok it brought all the partitions back

so i tried to install on the partition marked windows and it gave me a warning saying this disc may fail please install windows on another drive

I went ahed anyway

It seemed to install and gave me sign in page.

I have spoken to my friend and owner of the Nightmare laptop

Told her Its either faulty Discs and to contact Acer see what they say

Or faulty HDD that needs replacing

Ironfly are these Toshiba 5gb HDDs susceptible to issues

Toshiba MQ01ABD050 500Gb sata 3Gb/s 5400rpm 2.5" 9.5mm drive

If I get a replacemnt drive should I get the same or is it ok to use a different manufacturer

If that dont work its got to be the Acer discs but I feel on balance now its probably the HDD is failing and has many bad sectors

Cheers

• Brucelee1
    Options

Also If I buy a NEW HDD can I then Use the recovery discs to try again

or would I then Have to just try to Install WIn8.1 seen as the Key is in the bios

Does it have to be win 8.1 as she hadnt completed the upgrade to win10 before it started getting problems

Or can she just got to win 10 home

It was originally WIn 8 not Win 8 Pro

cheers for all your help

• IronFly
    Options

i would try to install windows 8.1 again but selecting custom install and deleting all the available partition on the HDD, when your HDD is all as unallocated space, click next and let windows install.

HDDs may fail, whatever brand it is.

if you change HDD you can try to use your Acer recovery media.

or...you can go ahead and do a clean windows 10 install, it will read the prodcut key from the BIOS, just skip the product key steps if asked.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

use Download tool to create a bootable media, be sure that your laptop/PC uses UEFI too.

• Brucelee1
    Options

Hi Mate

Yes I am trying to install Win 8.1 now from Bootable it told me again that the selected partition ie unallocated space all of it . that the disc may fail so select another drive to install windows

I went ahead anyway

It seems to have installed slowly

I am up to the page for to sign into microsoft account page

Just need the owner to allow me her email and password

God knows why you have to put it in at this stage it says its just to set up email and photos

So with a new HDD I can opt for the recovery discs or 8.1 or 10

as long as its Home edition and not pro as it was Win 8 only originally

I have made a 8.1 and 10 disc already as that was my idea before I got the recovery discs

I will see what happens when i get her email and password

But I still think its now a HDD issue

and the laptop uses UEFI

I will check mine as thats the one I downloaded and burnt the 8.1 and 10 iso discs off

Mine is a Medion Akoya E6221 had it a few years now came with win 7 on it and option to upgrade to 8 for £15 worse money I spent it was rubbish then 8.1 better and now its on win10 pro x64

cheers mate

• IronFly
    Options

Ok, let me know.