i Keep losing brightness option in windows 10 (open to all computers)

Options
smitty123
smitty123 Member Posts: 35 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

i upgraded to windows 10, now i loose the brightness option (fn+left/right arrows).

i know i can regain the option by deleting the driver in control panel -> Device manager -> monitor

but the problem re-occurs. i don't want to do that every day.

Can Acer come up with a windows 10 driver for the Acer-E1-572-6626 laptop monitor please ?

*This thread is open for all computer brightness issues. Post your help/driver requests.

Answers

• smitty123
    Options

why asking for monitor instead of intel vga?

1st the drivers installed with windows 10 are the same version numbers as on the site.

second, simply because its not a video driver issue its a monitor driver issue. 

Search the web for the subject you'll see where the problem lies and its not just for acers.

if i have installed acer quick access ? you mean the live update or the little overlay that appears when we press the fn key ?

either one won't fix the problem. brightness slider is gone in the power options !

it is a driver issue.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

ok, windows 10 seems to install monitor as monitor instead of PnP.

it's not an Acer issue but it's related to Microsoft.

you wrote that you are able to have brightness working, uninstalling Monitor from Device manager, are you re-scanning hardware and having it installed as PnP?

Solution 1
    1) Go to Device Manager in Start Menu
    2) Go to the Monitors section
    3) Right click on Generic PnP Monitor and click Enable

Solution 2
    1) Go to Device Manager in Start Menu
    2) Go to the Monitors section
    3) Right click on PnP-Monitor (Standard) and click update Driver Software...
    4) Click Browse my computer for driver software
    5) Click Let me pick from a list..........
    6) Select Generic PnP Monitor and click next
    7) Wait till it finish....... Now you can change your brightness

The main issue is probably the bad behaviour of windows 10 to re-install bad drivers automatically.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • smitty123
    Options

both solutions is exactly what i've done.

the issue comes back soon after.

• IronFly
    Options
  • smitty123
    Options

And this will prevent the brightness problem from happening ?

i'll give it a shot.

The drivers for this model really needs an update, things have changed since 2015-07-28 , the drivers installed with windows are the same as this site's downloads, same version numbers same date according to the download list.

Oh and also if the laptop can't turn off after you click to power off, delete the intel Engine management driver in system devices. it will revert to an older version and fix that issue aswell.

we really need an update from acer on this driver issue.

Thanks IronFly

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome.

that block on drivers update, will prevent windows to re-install or install it's drivers, to be honest is not a 100% successfull method; it's the worst windows 10 behaviour to be honest.

To update drivers, at the moment, is to search on hardware manufacterer websites; some Acer customisation are just graphic UI and some lables.

IME issue is well know, version 11.x cause this kind of shutdown or sleep issues, reverting to version 9.xx solves it.

• smitty123
    Options

regarding the shutdown problem i had to install this intel engine management Version: 9.5.15.1730 5M for windows 8.1 x64

you can find it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23277/Intel-ME-pilote-du-moteur-de-g-rabilit-

i hope this helps.

• smitty123
    Options

Hi ironfly

well its back, the problem of the lost brightness slider.

i installed your suggested driver from this site, also the acer quick access.

the driver thing seemed to fixed it but not for long.

like i said, it's the same version number as what windows installs by default.

is there anything else we can try ?

ps: one thing i forgot to mention in my 1st post is that even with windows 8.1 the slider would disappear from time to time until i upgraded the video drivers. but these win10 drivers installed by default by windows or windows update are the same v10.18.15 .4248 as on the Acer site for win10.

i will try these official intel v15.40.18.64.4380 and hope for the best: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/fr/download/25860/Pilote-pour-graphiques-Intel-pour-Windows-10-15-40-4e-G-n-

edit: no luck, they won't even install.

i ran the intel driver update http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

and it also found that a customised driver is installed by Acer so it won't install anything. 

• smitty123
    Options

so to recap:

- installing Acer quick access will not fix this problem.

- installing a new intel video driver is not possible from intel download center or windows update.

- reinstalling the same intel video driver did not fix the problem

- there is no new video driver yet in windows update

The only true fix to this problem as of now is :

- Go in Device Manager

--delete the screen/monitor (not vga card) entry in device manager (check the box to delete the driver too) 

--and rescan for new hardware.

This will effectivelly reinstall the same Generic PNP monitor driver that you've just deleted but this will fix something somewhere and then the slider will be back for a while.

We need some help from the Acer driver team.

• IronFly
    Options

to install Intel's VGA drivers, you need to uninstall Acer's drivers first.

so from device manager right click the Intel VGA and choose to uninstall it and tick to uninstall sowftware too; keep your laptop without any web connection, reboot and then install Intel's drivers.

• smitty123
    Options
    thanks for your effort ironfly but like i said there's nothing to install.

the drivers i found aren't a match for the gpu.

so then i try my luck with the intel driver update utility but it warns to contact the manufacturer of this computer, which i'm doing here.

so this model Aspire E1-572 needs updated drivers from Acer to work properly.