first step with an aspire E11 LINUX

Options
caritz
caritz Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, I bought my aspire E11 this afternoon the seller told me that his operating system was linux. But when I turn on my acer there is a message with a command to perform "less / GPL" rules to read then nothing.

Mine questions are: can I install linux without having installed windows before ? and how to do ?

thank you.

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

Why not go back to the seller and ask them to demonstrate that what they sold you works?

Yes, you can install linux without installing windows. 

Installation would be from a DVD, USB stick and / or a small amount of software and a network connection.

So can you do the first thing, and how capable do you feel about potentially wiping what is already installed and replacing it?

Acer E11 is not really helpful, could you post a link to the make and model, as they may vary by country.

• caritz
    caritz Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hello, thank you for your time and your answer.
    As for the advice to go back to the store I had thought Smiley Happy .....
    I live Bangkok the city is great the store not close to me
    I would follow your advice from my first afternoon of free.
    In the meantime I thought that the Acer community could be saving me time and give me the solution ...
    Make and model is: ASPIRE ES1-132.
    I have already downloaded from the ubuntu site the latest version of linux on a USB key
    followed 2 instalation tutorials ( 1 with windows instaled already the second not for the same model)
    but nothing has changed. I am not an expert maybe i made a mistake...
    Here are 3 pictures of what appears on the screen in chronological order.IMG_25600720_205052.jpg

IMG_25600720_205112.jpg

IMG_25600720_205120.jpg

Thank you.

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

First of all Linpus is/was a commercially available Linux and I am not familiar with it.

http://www.linpus.com/pages/page_index_en

However your screen shots suggest to me that it is installed and working.

The screenshot says it is a live version, and therefore may not be on the HDD.  If you can return to that final screen [root@localhost / *]) and type something like...

ls

lsusb

and see if it works by giving a directory listing and a listing of USB ports.  Also read some of the help screens on the linpus site as thay may point you in the right direction.

#############

Now from this point on it can be difficult as I do not know linpus at all well, but I would try and use Gparted, type it in and see.

Otherwise you need to make the boot sequence USB first.  The stick should boot to an Ubuntu option screen, if there is an option of LIVE use that.

Please take this first step and take a photograph of any progress or problems. 

You are looking for a screen to be able to choose to install Ubuntu, with you choosing the partition layout.  If in doubt please ask.  If Windows 10 is already installed DO NOT accept automatic partitioning.  You need to protect W10.