erecovery usb for Aspire E111-P60S

Options
deborahdev
deborahdev Member Posts: 8 New User

I had a good running Acer Aspire E3-111-P60S and wanted to test the eRECOVERY USB I purchased as a backup in the event I had to restore the system.  So I booted with the USB and it went thru a series of steps the first being umounting 5 disks, precheck and loading images then said to take out the USB and press "ok" which I did, it rebooted and went into Acer eRecovery Management (NAPP V8.3.9) and displayed Restoring System and Updating System.  When it hit 100% of Restoring System it displayed the following message:

Restore failed - Error code=0x0 (WIMApplyImage cannot apply image: The operation completed successfully.)

Press ok

I pressed "ok" and it then comes up and goes back into Acer eRecovery Management -> Restoring System hits 100% again and displays the message again.   

Talked with Support on the chat session yesterday for an hour and their resolution was to send my netbook to them.  When I asked for a problem call number they said they could not give me one as the system was down and to call Monday. My preference is to get a USB that works or CD's and I will get an external CD.   Just wanted to field this problem if someone is thinking of purchasing the USB.  

Best Answer

• deborahdev
    Answer ✓
    Options

I never get to the language selection. 

Alt F10 at boot...best I can see does nothing...  get Windows is loading files, Starting Windows then enters Acer eRecovery Management loop.

I tried to write down  the series of commands the acer stick went from boot to error loop...  here are most:

First screen to come up after putting in the Acer stick and booting up the netbook..

Click "ok" button to restore your computer to factory default image.  Options ok and cancel.

Pressing ok you get the following:

UMOUNT DRIVES W;R;N;O;M;P

PreCheck

copy some files... very fast one was NAPP...

EXTRACT OS1 RCD IMAGE1

EXTRACT OS1 SCD SOURCES

EXTRACT OS1 SCD BOOT

EXTRACT OS1 SCD ACERBOOT

EXTRACT OS1 SCD PATCH

EXTRACT OS1 LPCD

COPY OS1 .... list of files

DUMPALL FILES

then

PLEASE REMOVE THE USB STICK AND PRESS "OK" TO CONTINUE

pressed "ok"

rebooted and said

WINDOWS IS LOADING FILES

STARTING WINDOWS

then goes into

Acer eRecovery Management (NAPP V8.3.9)

and displays

Restoring System and Updating System.  When it hits 100% of Restoring System it displays the following message:

Restore failed - Error code=0x0 (WIMApplyImage cannot apply image: The operation completed successfully.)

Press ok

I pressed "ok" and it then comes up and goes back into Acer eRecovery Management -> Restoring System hits 100% again and displays the message again. 

Appreciate your help but I just wanted to give people a heads up about the erecovery usb. I had a perfectly good system running, went to test the erecovery usb purchased from Acer and this is what has happened.  The CD's work fine, my friend has them and has had no problems.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

can you check if pressing Alt+F10 at boot, start Acer recovery?

if so, try to re-install your system using it.

if not, boot again from your USB recovery, when at language selection press shift+F10, this will open a command prompt

type on it

diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean
    type

exit
    your HDD will be erased completly

continue with language selection and follow onscreen instructions.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • deborahdev
    Answer ✓
    Options

I never get to the language selection. 

Alt F10 at boot...best I can see does nothing...  get Windows is loading files, Starting Windows then enters Acer eRecovery Management loop.

I tried to write down  the series of commands the acer stick went from boot to error loop...  here are most:

First screen to come up after putting in the Acer stick and booting up the netbook..

Click "ok" button to restore your computer to factory default image.  Options ok and cancel.

Pressing ok you get the following:

UMOUNT DRIVES W;R;N;O;M;P

PreCheck

copy some files... very fast one was NAPP...

EXTRACT OS1 RCD IMAGE1

EXTRACT OS1 SCD SOURCES

EXTRACT OS1 SCD BOOT

EXTRACT OS1 SCD ACERBOOT

EXTRACT OS1 SCD PATCH

EXTRACT OS1 LPCD

COPY OS1 .... list of files

DUMPALL FILES

then

PLEASE REMOVE THE USB STICK AND PRESS "OK" TO CONTINUE

pressed "ok"

rebooted and said

WINDOWS IS LOADING FILES

STARTING WINDOWS

then goes into

Acer eRecovery Management (NAPP V8.3.9)

and displays

Restoring System and Updating System.  When it hits 100% of Restoring System it displays the following message:

Press ok

Appreciate your help but I just wanted to give people a heads up about the erecovery usb. I had a perfectly good system running, went to test the erecovery usb purchased from Acer and this is what has happened.  The CD's work fine, my friend has them and has had no problems.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

ok.

just remember that erecovery sometimes gave errors if HDD/SSD is not wiped, unallocated space.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • deborahdev
    Options

just wanted to add... I created a bootable usb and also found my "factory default backup" usb I created.

I booted to the command line and there was a "C" and "X" drive as well as my usb "E" drive.  Both "C" and "X" had windows/acer files and the directory structure looked fine.  

I did however use diskpart on both the "C" and "X" drives and used the commands listed above by IronFly.  I then tried using the ACER USB E-RECOVERY and came up with the same error.  I booted back into the command prompt and tried diskpart again on the "C":

diskpart

list disk

select disk #

clean all

create partition primary

select partition  #

active

format fs=ntfs

assign

exit

on the "X" I did a clean only.

then tried the ACER USB E-RECOVERY and got the same error.   The point I wanted to understand is that the ACER USB E-RECOVERY has a problem.  I called ACER and they said that the warrenty is 15 days.  ACER said that  I also could not get the CD's because my SNID will allow me only to order the USB . 

I got my netbook up with the bootable usb I created, the diskpart command and the factory created image I backed up to a usb.