elan touchpad driver causing BSOD on windows 10. Acer Aspre E1-531 running windows 10.

Options
jonviper
jonviper Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

hi i have a acer aspire e1531 and have been running windows with no issues for a couple of years now. recently windows updated the driver for the touchpad and since then i have had all kinds of trouble and now get BSOD most times i try to boot up windows with the error "page fault in non paed area" then it says "ETD.sys" which is the driver for the elan touchpad. i have tried to delete the elan driver but it just automatically updates and i cant stop windows from updating this and once it updates i get BSOD again. i have tried system restore and also tried a fresh install of windows 10 and the laptop works for a short time after but then the driver is automatically updated again then i get the same issues. i have contacted both microsoft and acer and haven't got anywhere with either of them microsoft blame acer and acer want me to pay for support which i refuse to do. I have also tried to revert back to windows 8 as apparantly my system is'nt recommended for win 10 but the windows 8 version was oem and acer want to sell me the media to reinstall windows 8 again even though i paid for win 8 when i purchased he laptop so i wont be paying £50 for windows 8 that i already have bought. I have read a few others with very similar problem as me but i am unable to find a fix and tbh i am running out of ideas altogether. seems crazy to think this computer was working fine a few weeks ago and now becuase of a dodgy dirver i almost cant even use the computer. is there a way i can just delete the elan driver and stop it from auro updating and just use an external mouse and disable the touchpad altogether? seriously am struggling with this so any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i am not the most tech savy but with a little guidance i should be able to do most things. your help would be massively appreciated as i am totally stuck here and grudge giving acer any money especially as the fault seems to be at there end. thanks for your time

Answers

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

I am guessing bios is current and not the source of this. If so next I would manually over ride that driver with the other. Download the correct one. Open the zip. Open the exe with say zip7. Use those extracted files from the exe to manually select for use in the device manager. Update driver, manual, have disk, browse to unzipped location, use and when windows objects say use anyway. 

If this fails next would be to try unrelated drivers and force them in similar fashion like use synaptics touchpad drivers and see if one of those will play nice. Last solution or idea would be to mechanically swap touchpad for another kind from junk system or cheap keyboard. 

In end it's a driver issue. Should be able to force install proper one and set to never update but manually.

• jonviper
    Options
    Thanks so much for the reply trukntigger I really appreciate your time. I'm sorry but I'm not sure exactly how to try what u are suggesting I'm not the greatest with computers and I get confused at times. I recently tried another elan driver and that didn't work. I have seen others have changed bios and it helped them the issue I have us I am using a laptop which isn't supported in windows 10 (only found this out recently) although it worked without issue for years on 10 only recently I got this error and now for the life of me can't find a fix. I checked the Dr drivers for bios on acer site for my model and they only have for windows 8 so I was scared to change this. It may help bit not being tech savvy on such areas I fear doing this blindly. I tried to download an alps touchpad driver but this done nothing. I also seem people recommend trying it in "dependability mode" (i know that's not the correct name but can't remember at this moment the correct name for it) but when I click properties there is no such option. Tbh the more I try to fix this the more confused I am getting. Would there be any way you can post me an idiots guide for any suggestions you may have. I was hoping there would be another touchpad make that I could just install driver for then that would overwrite the elan one. Even if I had to render touchpad useless and use an external mouse for future that wouldn't bother me at all but at the moment it doesn't seem like I can even do that as Windows seems to update the elan driver itself which is a nightmare. Really appreciate your help and if you can't reply with more dimple instructions then that's more problem at all as u realise this could be an annoyance to you. Once again thanks for your reply and suggestions.
  • Trukntigger
    Options

Yea, I got a easy temp fix. Unplug it. There will be a thin ribbon connector coming from it to mother board. Driver won't load without it seen in hardware then your external mouse will work. 

More detailed fix can do but I need time to make it up. Need too account for bsod so you can even make the fix

• Trukntigger
    Options

So long work day done. More info for your repair. My reading says if you press shift key and hold and also press f8 this should boot system into safe mode (both win8 & Win10). Would like to know if you can run system in this mode without the bsod you have been experiencing.  Safe mode basically runs windows with the most basic of drivers so the touchpad should not cause issue but be advised this mode also means basic vga graphics and other features. If this mode works we can proceed to replace the driver. Let me know. 

• jonviper
    Options

hi again and thanks for reply yet again. i have resorted to just taking out the ribbon for the touchpad and doing without it. i read a forum with various fixes but i couldnt do any of them, i have deleted elan from laptop but when i redownloaded it i couldnt seem to enable it in any way (tried fn+f7)and the setting tab for elan was there but everything was greyed out and i couldnt select anything. seems i am not installing eln properly or something and im not sure why this is happening, anyway i havent had bsod even before doing this, i got problem when i loaded windows this morning and was asked if i wanted to restore i just went to advanced options then went to exit to windows 10 and it launched without error. i have since took out the ribbon connection for the touchpad so hopsully that will prevent the problem from occuring again. not the greatest solution really but i seem to have a working computer at least for now. pity i have lost various pps i had downloaded etc but i can get them back somehow im sure. thanks for your reply and i will get back to you i have any more issues or if i find a proper fix. thanks for your time though really appreciated