e3-111 maximum cpu frequency

Options
impulsefishing
impulsefishing Member Posts: 2 New User

According to Resource Monitor, my E3-111 Maximum CPU Frequency frequently reduces to 2%, stays at 2% for a while (minutes to hours), effectively disabling the machine, then slowly reverts to 118%.  CPU temperature doesn't seem to be the culprit as I have tried a couple of open source CPU temperature monitors and the issue is independent of CPU temp. The only modification I had done was to upgrade from 2G to 8G of RAM.  Seems to happen most often when running Flash files in Chrome or Firefox (that often crash), but it also happens randomly when there's no activity except for watching Resource Monitor and CPUID HWMonitor on the screen.  I'm about ready to bin the <6 month old machine, but I figured I'd ask here for help.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,072 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

First I suggest you to check the processor with Intel processor diagnostic tool.

France
  • impulsefishing
    impulsefishing Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks, Laurent.

Downloaded the diagnostic (laptop locked up at 2% CPU Freq while downloading)  After a restart, ran the diagnostic in loop mode and got fails on the BaseClock parameter, always in the 1st or second loop.  Duplicated the "fail" 3 times to make sure it wasn't a fluke.  Once in the 1st loop, twice in the second loop.

Strangely, when it's running on battery alone, it passes all tests- and I'm on the 14th loop under battery power.

Time to bin the unit, or is there a next step?  For $300 replacement cost, I'm not willing to spend a lot more time before I change to a different model.