acer extensa 5620z system partition/ factory reset

Options
hmwatdoesthisdo
hmwatdoesthisdo Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

hi, thanks to anyone who can help.

i have an old acer extensa 5620z, windows 7, i'm trying to reset to factory and make sure all my files are off it before selling it.

(file backups are all safely on my new laptop)

i tried reinstalling windows 7 from cd and ended up with two copies of windows, one on D, one on C.  tried to delete one, wouldn't let me. 

tried alt and F10.  got "bootmgr is missing" and laptop then refused to boot in any way.  reinstalled w7 again, reformatting both C and D in the process.  laptop now working and my files appear to be deleted.

however:

1.  The D partition has no name, i gave it a letter, but it wouldn't let me use D, so i chose B.  is still 51 GB, so don't think part of it has somehow stayed hidden, and is called D?

2.  This partition, now B, looks empty, yet on Disk Management it says it's the system partition. But in windows exlorer, if i go to Computer, the C partition has the windows symbol and also has the boot,page file, crash dump.

after this new install, i then tried the alt and F10 again, to see if it would work now, but it says [ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN 

the pq partition is still there, and i've never knowingly meddled with that, so not sure why the reset stuff won't come up.

at least windows appears to be workin fine, but how can i get the partitions back to normal?

thank you

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

alt+F10 will never work after a re-install from a windows 7 installation disk, since the recovery partition needs to be registered.

if you want to completly erase your data a simply format is not enought.

i suggest you to boot from windows installation CD and at language selection press shift+F10 then at command prompt (this will erase completly everything on your HDD):

type

diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean all

it will take some hours, then continue with windows 7 installation

I'm not an Acer employee.