acer aspire 5742 boot problem

skelly9
skelly9 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi all,

I am currently having problems booting up my Acer Aspire 5742, with i5 processor, running windows 7, with BIOS version 1.16 (from 16/02/2011).

The problem is this: when I turn my laptop on, after the Acer logo boot screen appears and disappears, the laptop does not successfully boot up - a cursor key remains at the top left of the screen and after a few minutes the laptop turns off. When I try to boot up the computer again, the same thing happens. From my brief review online this seems to be a very common issue. Can anyone tell me if they have discovered/created a solution to this problem? I would greatly appreciate any and all help.

I have discovered a post from 2014 on this forum that suggests using a partition manager to delete a 100mb partition (titled: System Reserved 100mb NTFS) - see full post here. Others replied and suggest this helped solve the problem for them. Can anyone tell me what are the risks/consequences of deleting said partition? And if this solution has worked for them? It seems to have worked for others but I am not eager to alter my machine without knowing how exactly it will be altered.

I thank you all for your time and comments.

Please ask if there are any further details that you would find useful in this regard

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

the solution seems good but it refers to re-install using  ALT+F10 and installation hangs on office.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • skelly9
    skelly9 Member Posts: 2 New User

I should have mentioned, I am hoping not to have to re-install windows while correcting this problem.

Can anyone tell me the risks of removing the 100mb partition (mentione in original post above), please?

Also, in case its of any use, I can start my laptop if I press F2 when the acer boot screen appears, bringing me to the BIOS. Once in the BIOS, I simply go to Save and Exit (having made no changes). My laptop boots up as normal if I do this.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

can you please check voltage of your CMOS battery?

must be around 2.5V to 3.0V

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to-disassemble-acer-aspire-5742-series-laptop/

I'm not an Acer employee.