a few keys when pressed have wrong symbol on screen on my ACER ES1 512 laptop. Anyone else have info

santapaulabill
santapaulabill Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

A few keyboard keys do not correspond to screen symbol when keys are pressed. Does anyone know of a way to correct this? In particular, the backspace key enters an "=" symbol on the screen. This may be the only key with this problem. Any suggestions?  Thanks

santapaulabill  

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,085 Trailblazer

Hi,

Go to Device Manager(right click Windows logo in taskbar), expand keyboards, highlight Standard PS/2 keyboard, Properties, in driver tab uninstall the driver, reboot and let  windows install the driver, HTH.

• santapaulabill
    santapaulabill Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi brummyfan2,

Thanks for your suggestion. It seemed like a good fix, but did not work in this case. Also, I tried a different mouse with the Acer laptop, but that did not work either. I'm beginning to think that the problem is mechanical because it is limited to the single "backspace" key and other keys retain their proper character symbols. Reluctantly, my next move is likely to pop the key off the keyboard and give it a thorough cleaning to see if that works. Unfortunately, the backspace key is important to me as I make quite a few mistakes that require use of the backspace.

santapaulabill

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,085 Trailblazer

Hi,

You are welcome, clean it and see, if not get a replacement upper assembly or a keybord and fix itSmiley Very Happy