Wrong processor?

Options
ThPf
ThPf Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello All, 

Just bought an new aces aspire E17 E5-772-51Y0, it says on the box/laptop itself/site of acer it should contain an i5-5200u cpu but it contains an i3-4005U, the laptop is brand new just 10 minutes out of the box. Checked the CPU with 3 different programs to check for the components they all say the same. Has anyone ever heard of this problem with acer? 

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi ThPf,

I'm not even sure how a 4th gen i3 and a 5th gen i5 could get mixed up. Outside of the top end speed (1.7 to 2.7, which is clearly a big number), they are surprising similiar CPUs.

I'm asking a few more questions to verify internally and see what I can find out.

Cory

• Cory-Acer
    Options

Also, Could you send me screen shot of your System screen? From the desktop hit Windows+Pause/Break and it should pop up.

Alternatively, in the Control Panel, find System and Security, and then click on System and it should bring you to the same location.

Thanks,
    Cory

• ThPf
    ThPf Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hello Cory,

I brought the laptop back to the store I bought it and got a new one they will check every laptop they have in stock from that same serie, I have a picture of the screen but I think the store will also contact acer about this mix up and I hope acer will take action. I checked the CPU but maybe there is a complete batch of those at costumers that don't check before they use there system! A very very sloppy mistake to be honest!
  • Cory-Acer
    Options

Understood. I did check the systems we have and I didn't see other complaints. Due to the age of the computer, I'd be surprised if we did this. I'm curious as to why 3rd party programs label it as a i3-4005u myself, but it could be the way the program read the adjustable speed of the CPU.

The 4th gen and 5th gen CPUs have completely different sockets, it's not as simple as just putting the wrong one in. If we did put an i3-4005u, I agree, that's pretty sloppy, but I'm willing to bet there is another issue we're not aware of.

Cory