Weird issue with Aspire E5-772G-791Y software

Options
bomc
bomc Member Posts: 2 New User

HI all,

I'm all new to this community and Acer in general, but I'm hoping you could help. We bought an Aspire E5-772G-791Y last week to use as a media center of sorts (we don't want to have a TV in the living room all the time), and I got it set up. It all went wrong once I removed MacAfee and used a different virus scanner (Avast). Initially there was no problem, but on reboot I ended up in W10 recovery mode, with no way to continue but to 'reset' the machine and start all over again. This problem turned out to be reproducible. Installing a different virus scanner (AVG) proved to be less problematic, but when I installed a bunch of other software (Opera, LibreOffice, OmmWriter - nothing spectacular) the same problem occurred again. In the end, we returned the machine because of these things

Now, I'm in a bit of a quandary. I like the machine, it's 17" IPS panel, its 2TB hard drive, etc. But I don't want something that is this untrustworthy. Therefore: do you think this is just a freak occurrence, maybe something with an improperly set up boot drive - or is it something that sounds familiar? Truth be told, I can't imagine that this is 'normal' by any means, but I'm not familiar with Acer at all. Any guidance is highly appreciated.

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi bomc

No, this is not normal behaviour for an Acer (or any other make) of laptop!

Removing McAfee & installing Avast should not cause any issues. I run Avast AV, and have not has any problems at all. It's is a very stable & reliable piece of software.

It sounds as if there was a problem with your laptop. So, yes - I DO believe it was a "freak" occurrence. If you initialy liked your E5-772G, give it another try!

• sylbert29
    sylbert29 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi

first of all, please sorry for my 'bad writting' : i'm French ;-)

This week i bought an ACER E17 E5-772G-54QY and would like to clean the OS Win10, i removed MacAfee (twice) and install Avast but after reboot i have to re instal the 'original' OS Win10 and the software ( MacAfee and so ...)

the first time i used the Add/Removal software and the second time i used the MacAfee removal tool.It took too many time to spend :-(

Is anyone has got the same problem and perhaps solve it, or got a clue to help me ?

Regards

Bertrand

• finlux
    Options

Hi Bertrand

Are you saying that you've tried to uninstall McAfee (but it does not) & that you want to install Avast but it will not install?

If McAfee doesn't install, the removal tool will work. Try it again. It may take quite a long time but persevere with it. Once that is finished, reboot & install Avast.

If I've misunderstood what you are trying to do, please try again! 

• sylbert29
    sylbert29 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hello,

@ ACE finlux, thanks for taking time to reply.

Yes i've tried to uninstall McAfee ( 2 times ) and always have a reboot and re initialise Win 10.

This morning, after reading your message "Keep on trying"  :-) , i use the McAfee removal tool after using Add/Remove tool from Win 10 and it WORKS.

I have install Avast and some software like CCleaner, Spybot Search&Destroy. After some reboot/restart,the computer works fine and start in a few seconds.

Now i would like to change the original hard disk 1To to a Solid-state Drive 240Go but i  haven't ound te Acer Recovery Tool.

Regards

Bertrand

• finlux
    Options

That's great news, Bertrand! Smiley Very Happy

As for the Acer recovery tool missing, did you to a clean install to WIndows 10, or an in place upgrade, or was Windows 10 pre installed?

If it was a clean install, then Windows will have formatted the hard drive, before it installed a "fresh" copy, so the recovery tool will be erased. An in place upgrade just installs Windows 10 over 8.1 (or 7) keeping most of your original programs & files.

If you did an in place install (upgrade) then press Windows key & S (or use Cortana) then type Acer into the search box. The recovery tool should become apparent. You may also click Start>All Apps to find it there.

If you have erased it, you can use a disk image program to copy your old drive to the new drive, such as Macrium Reflect (Mouse over "Download Trial" then select Free version).

• bomc
    bomc Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi, am I the only who finds it idiotic that removing an app using Windows built-in tools is causing the entire system to become crippled? I'm happy Bertrand found a solution, but it is weird he (and I) had to take this course to arrive at it. After all, it wasn't a real problem now, but what if I had chosen to remove MacAfee after spending hours setting up my system? It does give me very little faith in Acer's ability to configure a system properly and to be honest, I don't want to take the risk that it is only MacAfee that has this problem.

• finlux
    Options

Hello again.

As I said previously, this is not really Acer (or any other manufacturers) fault - it is mainly due to third party programs & Windows configuration!

Companies like Acer use additional programs (AKA Crapware) to help financially. Some people probably DO find some of them useful, however if they cause problems when uninstalling that's not on!