TOUCHPAD GESTURE SOLUTION!!! E5-573G User

cyndirector
cyndirector Member Posts: 1 New User

For the record, I have an E5-573G and am running windows 10. If you haven't upgraded, I'd recommend doing so. I imagine this fix will work for most of us E5 users.

For all those out there who recently bought an Acer laptop...wondered why we couldn't 3-finger swipe left and right in a browser and then almost returned your laptop...wait just one second! I've finally found a way to get the Synaptics customization settings available in control panel so you can do your tweaking.

A little background...the problem, as Acer so unhelpfully has pointed out to other users, is that we have a precision touchpad. This means that the only gestures available to us are the ones that Microsoft has built in to windows...and we all know how wonderful they are. The only three finger gesture available is swiping between apps...uh...ok...useless.

What we need to do is get the touchpad to not be "Precision". If you check right now in your Device Manager in Control Panel, find your mouse and you'll likely see a device that is labeled as HID something or another. This is the problem. We need to go into the BIOS, change the touchpad to a basic (non-HID) type, it will now be a PS/2 type mouse touchpad, install the Synaptics drivers, manually force windows to use the synaptics driver, restart, and done. So here are the steps:

1) Download the latest Synaptics driver from here: http://www.synaptics.com/en/drivers.php

NOTE: YOU WANT THE Windows 10 PS/2 and SMBus Devices v19.0.19.1, DON'T DOWNLOAD THE I2C DRIVER!!!

2) Restart your machine, enter the BIOS (I think it's holding down F2 as soon as your computer is starting up). Find the touchpad setting, it was under the second tab for me. Change the setting from "Advanced" to "Basic". This changes the touchpad from an HID device to a PS/2 device. Save and Exit.

3) After windows starts, unzip and install the new syanptics driver you downloaded by running the setup file. Note: This doesn't really force windows to use the driver, that's the next step.

4) Go to Control Panel, Device Manager, find your mouse. It should be a PS/2 device now. Click on it, go to update driver, browse for driver, select from a manual location, navigate to the location of your Synaptics download folder that you unzipped, then go in to the WinWDF folder, then x64 folder, and there is your Synaptics driver inf file. Go ahead and install. It may prompt you and say that it's unsure this is for your specific device, it is.

5) Restart your machine and enjoy.

Hope I didn't skip any steps. You should now be able to go in to the Control Panel, click on Mouse, and you'll see the Sypantics tab so you can customize your Synaptics touchpad. It's worked well for me. The only thing I've noticed is that I have to turn the pointer speeds almost all the way up to mimic the way the mouse worked before. It seems the pointer speed in the Control Panel 'Mouse' window and Synaptics windows are different so you can crank both up for faster pointer speeds. Small price to pay for my advanced gesture functionality! Best of luck!

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot one thing. I noticed after installing the new Synaptics driver that the single finger tap to 'click' wasn't working all the time, pretty annoying. Found out it was just some Synaptics default settings that weren't too great for this touchpad. Just go to the Synaptics tab in the Mouse settings, click the "Settings" button, the Synaptics Control Panel should open, click on the Advanced tab, and under the SmartSense tab, either put the slider to minimum or one or two clicks away from minimum. This setting just protects the touchpad from your palm when you're typing. Click one tab over to the Motion tab, I slid the slider all the way over to 'light touch' and now the single finger tap seems to work pretty well.

Answers

• muhammadjavin
    muhammadjavin Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi mate, I just want to share my problem here.

I already follow your step but ended on "Update Driver" stage, because the option cant be clicked on my Notebook.

Screenshot_2.pngI attach the picture below, wish you could help, Thanks in advance!

• JAVA
    JAVA Member Posts: 2 New User

hi there, 

when i installed driver, it gave me that messageCapture.PNGand driver remains the same

Capture3.PNG

here you can see how many times i deleted driver and reinstalled synaptics

Capture2.PNG

• Izmi
    Izmi Member Posts: 2 New User

muhammadjavin wrote:

Hi mate, I just want to share my problem here.

I already follow your step but ended on "Update Driver" stage, because the option cant be clicked on my Notebook.

Screenshot_2.pngI attach the picture below, wish you could help, Thanks in advance!

1. In that window, switch to the General tab.

2. You should see Change settings button at the bottom. Click it.

3. In the next window, switch to Driver tab. You are back on the track.

(Sorry if some button or tab names doesn't correspond, I don't work with English localization, so guess them.)

• Izmi
    Izmi Member Posts: 2 New User

JAVA wrote:

hi there, 

when i installed driver, it gave me that messageCapture.PNGand driver remains the same

Capture3.PNG

here you can see how many times i deleted driver and reinstalled synaptics

Capture2.PNG

1. After selecting Manually installing driver, you need in the next dialog click the bottom link 'Select the driver from a list'

2. Then in the next dialog click the button 'From the disc' at the bottom. You are allowed to browse in the folders and pick the downloadad Synaptics' one. It will fill out the driver's path in this window properly.

• SergeGardien
    SergeGardien Member Posts: 2 New User

cyndirector wrote:

2) Restart your machine, enter the BIOS (I think it's holding down F2 as soon as your computer is starting up). Find the touchpad setting, it was under the second tab for me. Change the setting from "Advanced" to "Basic". This changes the touchpad from an HID device to a PS/2 device. Save and Exit.

I've checked my BIOS (Acer Aspire V3-572G) but there is no option to select the PS/2 or move from "Advanced" to "Basic".

Is this maybe not possible with my Acer laptop?

• krlswrt
    krlswrt Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, I just joined to say thank you. I've been struggling with the F5-573g for 2 days trying to sort the touch pad. Acer's drivers do not contain the PS2 compatible driver you mentioned. Your solution sorted the problem for me straight away. Thanks so much.
  • rangana
    rangana Member Posts: 1 New User

Important : Before doing this install 12C drivers . IMPORTANT

Thanks .Guys It WORKS 😊. Go to the BIOS and You can see you can see touchpad .Then , click it . After the click you can see BASIC & ADVANCED . If your keypad gestures not working SELECT ADVANCED JUST ENTER SAVE BIOS AND EXIT .This is definitly work. (My lap is acer Aspire E5-575G-54U7)