Wtfacer
Wtfacer Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

My computer will not boot. 

Sequence of events:

Press power button

Spinning disc

Preparing automatic repair

Blue screen with the message: Will restart for you. System thread exception not handled. What failed: Ntfs.sys

Then we start beck at the spinning disc

The computer NEVER gets past this.

Spent 2 hours on the phone with support and got the privilege of purchasing a recovery USB.

Inserting the USB changed nothing, it stays in the same loop. YouTube video indicated F2 gets you to the setup utility - it did but only once (tech support update your files). Reset to boot from USB by placing all 3 USB options under Windows boot - bad idea. Still doesn't break out of the loop and now F2 no longer works.

So the question is does anyone know how to fix this or do Acer computers have 12 month expiration dates and then you buy a new one?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

can you please post your laptop model?

try again to enter BIOS pressing F2 and then look around to enabled F12 key boot menu.

try also to press F12 key at boot with the USB flash drive connected and select the USB flash drive brand name

another try is, if you can: remove the original HDD and then try to enter BIOS pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default, the enable F12 key boot menu option and then press F10 to save and exit.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

can you please post your laptop model?

try again to enter BIOS pressing F2 and then look around to enabled F12 key boot menu.

try also to press F12 key at boot with the USB flash drive connected and select the USB flash drive brand name

another try is, if you can: remove the original HDD and then try to enter BIOS pressing F2 at boot, then press F9 to load default, the enable F12 key boot menu option and then press F10 to save and exit.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Wtfacer
    Options

It turns out the hard drive was failing. After replacing the drive the details in the last paragraph were necessary in order to use the rescue USB and get the system to recognize the new hard drive. 

I upgraded to a Kingston ssdNow uv400 240GB.

The laptop is an Acer Aspire E5-574.

• Wtfacer
    Options

Forgetting my manners. Thank you, IronFly!

• Elchappo
    Elchappo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hey guys. I have an Acer Aspire V5(with an AMD board), i just recently upgraded from windows 8-10 (using a bootable flash drive.) the thing is my PC doesn’t get to desktop. Immedieately i press the power button, BSOD comes up indicating “ SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT HANDLED” PC cant even prepare automatic repairs. Tried F2 and changed the F12 boot option, but still doesn’t let me install a new window, or troubleshoot. I need a solution please.