Switchable Graphics E5-452G windows10

waytarn
waytarn Member Posts: 7 New User

Dear Guys

I have a lot of problems with Switchable graphics for my new Laptop E5-452G on Windows 10.

All games running on window mode or borderless window mode will be force to run on Integrated GPU, eventhough I assigned them as High Performance on switchable graphic settings in AMD Catalyst Control Center.

The performance of integrated GPU is not good, compared to the dedicated one,  AMD R5 335 in my case.

It used to work great with Windows 8.1 and previous bios 1.02.  But after Windows10 and bios 1.03 upgrade, my AMD R5 335 stopped running.

Anyway, If I switch to Exclusive fullscreen mode, AMD dual graphic tech starts to kick in, and the performanc is great.  The laptop (graphic score) can beat Intel core I5-5200u with Nvidia 940M on 3DMark(Sky Diver) without any problem.  Battle field 4 is running with great performance.

But when It comes to some games like DOTA2, the performace for AMD dual graphic is very poor.

When I disable the the dual graphic, it switches to my integrated GPU which is poorer.

Guys, I really need your help as I have try all possible driver on the internet, but it doesn't seem to work.

Many thanks

Best regards,

WaYTarN

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

"I did a little research on Google, this problem seems quite common on Windows 10, and it affects multiple games."

Here:https://steamcommunity.com/app/570/discussions/0/541907867776946593/

• waytarn

Thank you very much philetus for your help.

However, I have tried running DOTA2 on D3D9 and get a lot better framerate.

It's around 25-40 FPS with "best looking setting" and Vsyn disable.

And It's running on R7 only, as dual graphic did not work.

Anyway, I have checked the GPU-Z, and I have found that my R7 integrated GPU clock was running at 400-500mhz iso 720mhz, which didn't seem right.

I assume that the power saving things cause this problem.

Will this be fixed in the future?

Best regards,

WaYTarN

• philetus

Watching at idle is not very demanding on the GPU so, it will be low.

Run a GPU stress test and watch GPU-Z while it's running.

• waytarn
    My GPU usage was at 95-100% while in a match of DOTA2.
    But the GPU clock is capped around 400-500mhz
  • philetus

I wonder if these two things have something to do with it:

"Other features include ZeroCore for reducing power consumption when the display is turned off and Power Gating to power down areas of the chip that are not used. PowerTune allows automatic overclocking and underclocking of the graphics card as long as the GPU is within its TDP limit. For example, the chip may be underclocked when running FurMark and OCCT, but will overclock in certain games like Lost Planet, Crysis or Resident Evil 5."

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R7-M265.109394.0.html

• waytarn

Now, I have tried FurMark and it's very interesting.

if AA off, GPU will run at 490mhz   FPS is around 10

If 2XAA, GPU = 570mhz  -- FPS 7 AVG.

if 4XAA, GPU = 650mhz -- FPS = 4 AVG.

if 8XAA, GPU = 690mhz+ --FPS = 0-1

Then in my opinion, I think FX8800P with its integrated GPU is not that reliable.

And I cannot switch to R5335 too.

• philetus

If it worked great in 8.1, you should go back to it. I don't really see much difference between 8.1 and 10 and if 10 has problems, for me, it's time to ditch it and wait until it's fixed.

They call it RTM but it is still in developement.

• waytarn
    Actually, that's what exactly I thought, so I have already tried that.
    But it didn't help. I got the same problems as of now.

I guess there is something to do with the bios upgrade or maybe ram upgrade as the problems also happen after these changes .

Anyway, thank you very much philetus. You are too kind.