SSD m.2 upgrade for E5-575-33BM laptop, limited to 256GB?

AK3
AK3 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

I bought an E5-575-33BM laptop, along with a 525GB Crucial m.2 SSD that I had hoped to install.  The SSD could serve as a storage drive, but not as the boot drive.  So I returned it, and ordered a 500GB Samsung EVO 850 m.2 SSD.  Today, Acer indicated the following:  "256GB is the largest that was tested/qualified by Acer for this model. You might also post your question on the Acer Community . . ."

So, let me ask:  Has anyone tried to add a 500GB Samsung EVO 850 m.2 SSD to a E5-575-33BM laptop, as a system drive?  For that matter, has anyone attempted (successfully or not) to install any other manufacturer's 500GB (+/-) m.2 SSD in this laptop as a system drive? 

I'd be grateful for any information.  However, to be honest, installing RAM and SSD's, and fiddling with BIOS boot-up sequences, is probably as far as I can go. 

Answers

• glp209
    glp209 Member Posts: 2 New User

I Used this SSD from Crucical https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820156153

and it came with software as a download option to transfer all my files from HD to SSD, so I did that and didnt have to re-install windows 10. Works flawless, also I went with an extra 8GB of Ram, Im very happy with my setup. If you have any questions? Feel free to ask...

• AK3
    AK3 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you. 

• mdavid
    mdavid Member Posts: 11 New User

Hi, I've have the same configuration - Acer E5-575-33BM, Crucial SSD M.2 275GB. Installed the ssd, did a system-backup and restore of Windows 10 from HDD to SSD (using AOMEI free) Everything seems ok, problem is I can't make the SSD the boot disk, can you tell me how to do that.

In the Disk Managment I now have 2 partitions on the SSD

1. (FSmiley Happy  100 MB NTFS Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
    2. (ESmiley Happy 256.07 GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition)

In the BIOS > Boot Priority Order the 1st 3 items are:
    1. HDD1: Crucial-CT275MX300SSD4
    2. Windows Boot Manager
    3. HDD0: Toshiba MQ1ABD100

but the system continues to boot from the HDD drive, local disk C:

Any help much appreciated

David

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

Hi,

Do you have the original OS in the HDD? If so, remove the original HDD and try booting, you have to delete the OS partition from the Toshiba HDD and use it as a storage disk.

• mdavid

Thanks very much for this, so if I remove the hdd and startup it'll automatically boot from the ssd?  What's the BIOS > Boot Order for then?

Will I be able to change the ssd drive letter to C

Also how do I delete the OS partition from the Toshiba HDD.

Sorry for all the questions, after 3 days (and nights) on this it's good to have someone to talk to.

Thanks for your help

David

• brummyfan2

Hi,

Yes, you can leave the Boot order as it is, once you boot with the SSD you can change the drive letters in Windows Disk management, you may have to use an external enclosure to delete the OS from HDD, you can also use a third party Disk management utility but make sure to identify which disk/partitions  you are deleting, I don't want you to delete the contents of SSD by accident.

• glp209
    glp209 Member Posts: 2 New User
    yes if you remove the HDD and then turn on computer, it should boot from the SSD. If you plug in the HDD using a USB external adapter to any computer even your acer after booting you should see it as drive D: or E:.
    I would use MMC (microsoft management console) and use the "add-in" disk management to erase or format all the partitions off the HDD. Then setup the HDD as regular with one partition and it will give it a drive letter. And boom its ready to go. Make sure you turn computer off at this point, then remove HDD from USB external adapter and plug it in internally and it should boot using the SSD because the HDD doesnt have any of the system files on it anymore. Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel to ask
  • mdavid

Hi, I removed the hdd drive, turned on the computer and...

No Bootable Device

I used Easeus Todo Backup free Clone to transfer Windows 10 OS to the SSD - this is a screenshot after transfer

Screenshot (2).png

and here's the current Disk Management

Screenshot (1).png

Any ideas?

Thanks

David

• brummyfan2

Hi David,

You have Macrium Reflect, give it a try, you also must be aware that you are cloning a larger HDD to a smaller SSD, please watch this video and let me know if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKTIwI-yeow

EDIT:

Two partitions from your HDD hasn't been cloned to the SSD, you need to shrink the E partition to accomodate those partition from HDD.

• mdavid

I tried Macrium Reflect, but it complained about the HDD being larger than the SSD, and I didn't think it was a good idea to reduce the size of the boot partition - the link you sent isn't cloning the boot partition area.

I used the Easeus Backup Clone as it agrees to clone larger to smaller 'cause it only clones the used parts of the disk.

You say:

Two partitions from your HDD hasn't been cloned to the SSD, you need to shrink the E partition to accomodate those partition from HDD.

Does that mean I need to create 2 more partitions on the SSD? Please could you specify which partitions I need to clone from the HDD to the SSD

Thanks

David

• brummyfan2

Hi,You can shrink E partition to accomodate 16MB and 1024MB partitions, I am not familiar with Easeus but you can find a way to do that. These two partitions(snip) have not been cloned becuase there was not enough room in the SSD as it's smaller than the HDD.

Capture.JPG

• mdavid

Hi, Thanks for this, is it imprtant how the partitions are configered: NTFS file system, with/without drive letter etc. ?

I'll try this later and let you know

• brummyfan2

Hi,

You only make the space for it, the program you use will create the partition exactly same as the HDD. In macrium, I can drag the HDD partitions to the SSD partitions, I am sure it will be same in Easeus as well.

• mdavid

Hi, still getting

No Bootable Device - when I remove the HDD

Here's a couple of screenshots of the disks after clone operations

disk management after clonning.pngeaseus after clonning.png

Thanks for your time and patience

Grateful for any suggestions

• brummyfan2

Hi David,

It seems that it's not possible to clone a larger drive to a smaller drive, please read the second post in this thread by JEfromCanada:http://forum.easeus.com/viewtopic.php?t=35674

He was suggesting to make an image of the whole source disk to an external HDD, create a bootable recovery disk, then after installing the SSD, boot with recovery disk and recover the image to SSD.

I would suggest you to post in their forum and get help regarding the procedure as I am not familiar with Easeus.

• mdavid

Hi, here's my current configuration:

Screenshot (7).png

This is the SSD drive (I've removed the HHD)

The answer was MiniTool free partition manager just a couple of clicks, took around 15 minutes to migrate OS, and here I am booting from my new SSD

Thanks for all your help - couldn't have done it without you

• gobeavs
    gobeavs Member Posts: 2 New User

So did you just use MiniTool software and do the 'migrate OS to SSD' option? I've been considering doing this upgrade but I don't want to get into a giant pain in the butt with drive letters and no bootable devices, etc.

• mdavid

Yes just ran Migrate OS - I'd already tried this a dozen times with all sorts of software, and  my SSD was a real mess - this tool just wipes the SSD and copies everything as is including the drive letter - C: - obviously the SSD has to have enough space to accomodate all the used  space on the source.

After the migrate OS finished - took around 15 minutes, I went into the bios and moved the ssd to the top of the boot order, turned off the pc, removed the HDD, and booted without any problem from the ssd which appeared as C:.

One question I have now is how do I wipe the source hdd and use it for regular storage, can I put it back and format it or do I have to attach it via a usb connection.

Let me know how it goes, if it works for you as well as it did for me.

Good Luck

David

• brummyfan2

Hi David,

Use a SATA to USB adapter or enclosure for deleting the OS partition only from the original HDD.