Recovery issues after new hard rive install.

Options
Tasrak
Tasrak Member Posts: 9 New User

My friend recently had to buy another hard drive for his desktop when the original crapped out.  He also bought the recovery discs from Acer.  I've just gone through the install, after formatting the hard drive.  Everything went well until the program asked for the computer to be restarted.  Now there's a quick flash of loading sequence, then the screen just shows a flashing cursor in the upper left.  Any ideas?

Answers

• philetus
    Options

I would probably run the disks again and see if you get the same results.

If you do, it may be bad diskd or defective HDD.

• Tasrak
    Options

I tried a second install.  No joy.  Slaved the hard drive into my computer as boot drive and same thing.  Reset my hard drive as boot and looked at his drive.  It appears all the stuff got copied onto it, it just won't boot from it.

• philetus
    Options

Are you installing on one computer and putting the HDD with the install into another computer?

• Tasrak
    Options

No, I just slaved it into my computer to see if the issue was his computer or something with the install.  I've now taken out his extra RAM and video card and trying again.  Hopefully this works for him as he said the next step is a sledgehammer.

• philetus
    Options

Possibly all you need is to fix the boot.

• Tasrak
    Options

Any idea how?

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

are you running 7,8 or 10?

• Tasrak
    Options

Windows 7.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Boot from an install disk, if you have one or a system repair disk.

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-create-system-repair-disc-cddvd

Then use the guide below to fix the boot with install disk

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32523/how-to-manually-repair-windows-7-boot-loader-problems/

With system repair disk

1. Insert the System Repair disc in the DVD drive and restart the computer.

If necessary, turn off the power, count to ten, and turn the power back on.

2. For just a few seconds, the screen displays Press any key to boot from CD or DVD. Press any key. Click Next.

If you aren't quick enough, you'll have to restart the computer again. When Windows is finished loading files, the first System Recover Options dialog box appears. Note: Change the keyboard input method if US isn't correct.

3. When System Recover is finished searching for Windows installations, click Next.

4. Choose Use Recovery Tools That Can Help Fix Problems Starting Windows. Click Next.

Windows will provide several tools that you can use to repair your system, including using the system image, if you have one available.

5. Choose a Recovery Tool:

Choose the tool that best suits your situation. Best recommendation: Use the first three options in the order listed, restarting after each one.

• Startup Repair: A good first attempt. Automatically fix problems that are preventing Windows from starting.

• System Restore: Restore Windows to an earlier point in time. Choose this option if Windows 7 starts, but something has changed since a recent installation or update. You'll pick a restore point based on date and time (start with the most recent). You may lose recent program changes, but not your data.

• System Image Recovery: Recover your computer using a system image you created during a backup. Choose this option if the first two don't fix a problem and you have a relatively recent system image.

With System Image Recovery, you will lose data created or changed since the image was created, unless you have that data on a separate device, such as a flash drive.

• Windows Memory Diagnostic: Check your computer for memory hardware errors. This diagnostic tool won’t do any damage and might uncover the reason your PC hangs, freezes, or crashes.

• Command Prompt: Open a command prompt window. Use this if you’re familiar with typing commands at a prompt.

• Choose prompt and run the commands from Repairing the Master Boot Record in the above guide.  

I missed that the new HDD had been formatted before the recovery attempt. I did a factory recovery,three days ago, with recovery disks I made and it wouldn't even start with a partition on the disk. If the fix boot doesn't solve the problem, boot back to the command prompt and run these commands, one at a time,without the quotation marks.

"diskpart"
    "list disk" (should be only one disk)

"select disk ?" (probably disk 0)

"clean"

"exit"

"exit"

put in first recovery disk and give it a try.

• Tasrak
    Options

The first part didn't work.

The secod part worked to load, but ended with "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on theis compuiter, restart the installation."

Ended up following some steps from another site that had me:

If this doesn't work try next step:

SHIFT-F10 to bring up command prompt.

type:  CD C:\windows\system32\oobe

type msoobe

enter

Make a generic account and password.  hit finish (if it requests a product key and you have one, enter it now.  if OEM/No key required, just finish).  Set time/date.  Finish.

Restart.

Should be good to go.

Working now.  Thanks for all the help.