Recovery USB Media for Windows 10 ( Factory Default Back up )

Options
gargss
gargss Member Posts: 13 New User

Recovery USB Media for Windows 10 ( Factory Default Back up )

I have now upgraded to Windows 10 on my ACER Aspire E1 472P - 6491 , but have some questions:
1.0 I had earlier created Recovery USB Media ( Factory Default Back up ) for Windows 8.1 . Shall I retain this for any futute use ? Is it useful anymore ?
2. If the recovery USB Media for Windows 8.1 I created now is not of further use , then I shall format this USB and create Recovery USB Media ( Factory Default Back up ) for Windows 10 on the same USB . Is it OK ?
3. To create Recovery USB Media ( Factory Default Back up ) for Windows 10 on a diffrent USB, what will be minimum USB ( 4/8/16/32 GB ) capacity ?
4. To create Recovery USB Media for " Drivers & Applications Back up " for Windows 10 , can I use the same USB or this has to be done on a diffrent USB (capacity ? ).
Please advise . Thanks in advance .

==========================================================================================

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    1. it depends if you want to revert back to windows 8.1 from windows 10
    2. yes, it's ok. you can use windows download tool to create a clean windows 10 USB media http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    3. 8GB
    4. you must use another USB flash drive or it will mess up the USB media partition; by the way it's not worth to have this backup, it's always better to download and install newer drivers if possible.

if you don't want to re-install everytime from scratch, i can suggest one thing:

• wipe your HDD and do a windows 10 clean install (you will have more storage, since Acer recovery will be deleted...you have your original windows 8.1 USB recovery media, if something go wrong)
    • download and install drivers and Acer application for windows 10 from Acer support website http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/5185;-;Aspire%20E1-472P
    • install your applications
    • once you have your laptop setup in a stable configuration, do a system image using windows integrated software; you will need a good external USB HDD

why this?

a system image is a "1:1" copy of your HDD, so if you need to re-install it, you can use windows 10 installation media and tell the application to load the system image, so at the end of the process, you will have your system ready at the date of your system image.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

1. I keep my Acer Windows 8.1 factory default recovery drive.  I don't have a real good reason.  I guess if I ever encountered a problem with Windows 10 that I was pulling my hair out trying to troubleshoot whether I had a hardware problem or a windows 10 problem, I could always go back to a known working windows 8.1 configuration.

Also, Windows 10 is a service.  Unlikely that they would do something stupid like mess up Windows 10 and pull the Windows 8.1 iso all in the same day.....but.... I think I'll give Windows 10 a few more years before I delete my Acer factory default recovery drive. Smiley Wink

2. There's no need to format it.  The Windows 10 media creation tool formats it for when you create windows 10 USB media.

3.   I put both Windows 10 64 bit and Windows 10 32 bit on it because some friends/family still have old 32 bit computers.  Not sure how may GB for both and I'm going to be lazy and not look for you.

4.  To be honest, I keep my Drivers and Apps backup for the sole purpose of Cyberlink Power DVD software that came pre-installed on my Acer computer.  But that's because I do a clean install.  But if you use other pre-installed Acer software, some of it is available for download, and some of it isn't.  So if you think you might do a clean install someday, then you might want to keep it if there's something you want from the Acer pre-installed stuff. There is other free DVD codec available, but I prefer Cyberlink Power DVD that came with computer.

I used a cheap DVD for the Drivers and Apps backup.

I'm not an Acer employee.