Overheating problem on Acer Aspire E 15 E5-551-T16G

Options
abhishekm
abhishekm Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi,
I have seen overheating problem on Acer Aspire E 15 E5-551-T16G, becasue of which sometimes it suddenly turns-off. Even on high temperature fan speed doesn't increase.

I am using linux mint 17 OS. Even tried fancontrol and lm-senser to control speed, but pwmconfig doesn't detect any  pwm devices installed.

Don't know if speed is to be controlled from OS or it should be by hardware by ACPI on this laptop !!!

Pl. help.

Answers

• Syed13149
    Syed13149 Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    Options

Hi there!

Can you give more details like date of purchase, ambient temperature where you stay, the kind of work you do on the laptop......etc?

Install HWMONITOR and observe the cpu speeds and utilization as well as core temperatures and if possible send a screen shot of the HWMONITOR window.

Few suggestions right now would be that if you are gaming, use a cooling pad provided the ambient /room temperature is cool enough. This also applies to graphic rendering and simulation softwares.

If your laptop is old, it might be time to clean the laptop fan and vents.

The laptop BIOS will not allow you to control fan speed, so nothing to see there!

• abhishekm
    abhishekm Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hi,

My Laptop is new just few days old. From sensors command i checked the temperature, it easily reach 70deg C, even more when kept on table. Now find a idea to lift a inch for sometime to cool it of till around 60deg C. As fan speed don't change even at 70deg C and above..

HWMONITOR is a windows program, I am a Linux user, I use sensor command to know the temperature.

I understand on heavy load it should require a cooling pad. But it is not the case of gaming or high processing. In my case CPU usage is around 30-35 %.

Any Idea if Acer laptop's fan control is ACPI or not. ?