Optical Drive for Aspire E5-575G-52RJ

iowa_teds
iowa_teds Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello. I'm another person who bought an Acer laptop without an optical drive and would like to add one.

Do all of the E5-575G notebooks have the same mother board? In looking through the forums, I see that some laptops with similar but not exactly the same model # have a SATA connector for adding an optical drive. When I remove the dummy bracket on my laptop, I also see the connectors but I cannot tell if they are in the same location as in the photo that was been posted for the other requests. If they all have the same mother board then I would assume that the connectors are in the same location and I can just buy the part #s mentioned in the other posts (33.MLQN7.001, 86.GDEN7.001, 42.GDZN7.001, etc).

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Ted Saliers

Best Answer

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

I'm no expert but yea, it does appear they use the same base motherboard- think hardware info called it Acer Ironman.  I have the E5-575G-527J which is the same. In my case I used a dremel tool on caddy and carved it out for a 2.5" 2tb hard drive with a SATA to micro SATA connector ribbon connector which works very well then just a external USB DVD burner drive for when needed.

Answers

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

I'm no expert but yea, it does appear they use the same base motherboard- think hardware info called it Acer Ironman.  I have the E5-575G-527J which is the same. In my case I used a dremel tool on caddy and carved it out for a 2.5" 2tb hard drive with a SATA to micro SATA connector ribbon connector which works very well then just a external USB DVD burner drive for when needed.

• Hi Ted,

Yes you can install an optical drive on your laptop without any problems. As I can see, you already have the right part numbers.

France
  • iowa_teds

I just wanted to verify the details, so as to avoid potential problems (buying the drive and finding out that the connector is in a different place on my laptop).

Ted

• iowa_teds

I just wanted to verify the details before buying the drive, so as to avoid any potential problems.

Ted

• You're welcome

France
  • Tibnok
    Tibnok Member Posts: 1 New User

For your information the connection on the motherboard is NOT a "micro Sata" but a "SLIMLINE SATA! Smiley Happy
    https://www.pimfg.com/ifaq/slimline-sata-faq.htm