No Back Panel USB.

Options
abrogard
abrogard Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

Just installed a new e650 board:  a 945G.

Works fine but there's no working back panel USB.

They don't require any leads plugged in or anything, do they?  They are just part of the motherboard I think?

Anything I can do to troubleshoot the issue?

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • abrogard

Tinkerer

Options

It says:  SNID 64004378  ASPIRE E650  MMX 6  P/N AS.E6697.470HE

All that's on the side cover.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

1. Do you have mark(s) in the Device manager?
    2. What OS do you use?
    France
  • abrogard

Tinkerer

Options

It has Win7 installed.

I can't look in device manager because today it won't boot at all.

The cpu fan starts up and runs fine.  The case fan at the back twitches like it will start but doesn't, then twitches again, and again, and again...  never starts, just keeps twitching.

The monitor displays nothing.

On the back panel a green led continually flicks on and off the same as the fan, on and off, on and off.  I can't see the actual led but it appears to be behind the ethernet socket.

This is a totally new board.

I wonder if it could be the power supply despite my power supply tester showing all okay?  If so funny that it worked okay for a couple of days with the new board.

edit:  I just rechecked it and I see the power supply tester shows no -5V.  I wonder if that could be it?

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

1. I see the power supply tester shows no -5V
      Probably your issue
    2. Check the position of the CLR_CMOS and BIOS_WP jumpers and the Cmos battery voltage.
    3. Check all voltages of the power connectors.

Note:

You'll find the informations in the attachment.

France
  • abrogard

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for that.  I'm getting a new power supply. 

Because the thing worked for a day I supposed all jumpers are where they should be but I just checked them and, yes, they are.

This is a new board because the old one wouldn't switch on. I now see that there appears to be a blown capacitor on that old board.

There is a row of six capacitors parallel with and about 50mm behind the parallel port.  One of those has a slightly rounded top and what looks like a splash of rust on it.  That's the capacitor closet to the edge of the board.

I don't suppose the information available to you would enable you to judge the potential for trouble if that capacitor were blown.  Just for interest's sake.  I don't suppose I could possibly fix it.  But nice to know.