My acer aspire E5-773 won't recognise external HDD

Options
fleetie
fleetie Member Posts: 5 New User

My acer aspire E5-773 won't recognise external HDD, It's running W 10. My previous laptop reads it without any trouble. Comparing the two my old one has more USB drivers installed. I can't see a way of updating USB drivers. 

Answers

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Does it show up in Disk management? Can you post the snip of it? Also check in your Device manager for USB drivers, compare with mine(snip below)

Capture.JPG

• fleetie
    Options

It doesn't show up in Disk or Device Manager. Here are my drivers.

Capture2.PNG

• fleetie
    Options

Btw The drive unitis a little aged, it won't be USB 3. Could that be the cause and if so how do I get the appropriate drivers.

• fleetie
    Options

Don't know if this helps but these are the drivers on my old machine (Lenovo G570 running the same version of windows10)

Capture1.PNG

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

fleetie,

Do other external USB drives work with your E5-773?

If had your computer, I would check for a BIOS update on either your Acer Care Center app or Acer's website.

Some Skylake laptops need a BIOS update so Windows 10 Anniversary works properly.  I don't know if that will help you, but that's what I would do.

You can check your current BIOS version:

1. Right click on the Windows Start button

2. Left click on Run

3. Type msinfo32

4.  Click ok

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • fleetie
    Options

-

Thank you for your reply. On your advice I did check and then update the bios - to no avail.

This laptop is new to me and when I did make a check I found that it had problems with most USB devices. 

These devices include two external drives, a couple of thumbdrives, a Galaxy S6 phone and a Galaxy Tab S2 tablet. Some of the gadgets will keep connecting and then disconnecting (noisily) sometimes showing up in explorer then disapearing. Occasionaly, one will eventually work mainly the thumbdrives.  Most of the time there is no reaction. Presumably the drivers are the main suapect but how do you update them. 

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

It's not normal to have to update your USB drivers.  Especially on a new computer.

My advice is to......

1. Backup your important personal files

2. Reset your computer to factory condition and start over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuljT0a8F7I

If you still have the problem when the PC is in factory condition, you may have a hardware problem.  If you have a hardware problem, you'd have to call Acer.

I'm not an Acer employee.