My Aspire ES1 displays a blue box after pressing F2, is this from the BIOS ?

Options
radiojohn
radiojohn Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I was trying out a Linux Lite CD and changed the bios to legacy, I want to revert to windows, so switched on again and get a message about a network boot followed by insert boot media, thinking I need to revert to UEFI on pressing f2  I get a blue box requesting I enter a password, I dont remember setting one.

Ater three trys the the laptop can only re-boot

I think I saw a second  type of blue box once and it also had  a number displayed, I tried entering the number but this did not seem to work.

Has anyone any idea what I did wrong ?

Best Answer

• radiojohn
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thought you all might like to know what happened next ...

I posted onto a request for support and a good tech guy says Acer can fix this for 55.15 GB Pounds.

"this unit needs to be assessed by a technician to remove Bios password from this unit."

My friend Rob just dropped by this morning and happened to took a look at it, he thought it looked like a BIOS password request ....... have you tried 1234 ....he said .... like on a mobile phone.

So he entered 1234

This fixed it, went back into BIOS setup, reverted to UEFI and WIndows eight now boots OK and no harm was done.

I know I pressed some random keys to try to select BIOS mode, this was due to the Acer message disappearing so quickly. What is the chance that I had managed (with a blank screen) to select the set password and then type 1234

Unlikely I would have thought.

Still that's all good now.

I imagine that here in the UK the warranty doesn't cover everything - we do have a throw away mentality,

Maybe we expect to be fleeced by the people we are buying from. Maybe If I had explained the laptop was only one month old they might have been more generous ???

Thanks at least, for the forum Mr Acer.

Answers

• radiojohn
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thought you all might like to know what happened next ...

I posted onto a request for support and a good tech guy says Acer can fix this for 55.15 GB Pounds.

"this unit needs to be assessed by a technician to remove Bios password from this unit."

My friend Rob just dropped by this morning and happened to took a look at it, he thought it looked like a BIOS password request ....... have you tried 1234 ....he said .... like on a mobile phone.

So he entered 1234

This fixed it, went back into BIOS setup, reverted to UEFI and WIndows eight now boots OK and no harm was done.

I know I pressed some random keys to try to select BIOS mode, this was due to the Acer message disappearing so quickly. What is the chance that I had managed (with a blank screen) to select the set password and then type 1234

Unlikely I would have thought.

Still that's all good now.

I imagine that here in the UK the warranty doesn't cover everything - we do have a throw away mentality,

Maybe we expect to be fleeced by the people we are buying from. Maybe If I had explained the laptop was only one month old they might have been more generous ???

Thanks at least, for the forum Mr Acer.