Multiple Issues with E1 V5WE2, Trying Factory Reset, Problem Occurred

Options
AmberInSweden
AmberInSweden Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi and thanks in advance for any assistance.

Background:

I have had my notebook for a year and a half with zero issues. Two days ago, while exiting a game, it's like it vomited. I got a black screen with cursor and nothing else. ctrl+alt+del did nothing. Sticky keys did nothing. I restarted to get into safe mode, but f8 did nothing. After two failed attempts, I got the auto repair screen, which did nothing, but it allowed me to boot into safe mode. Safe mode with networking couldn't to my wireless or by ethernet. I ran chkdsk and it brought up several bad clusters that it fixed. When it rebooted, it moved past the black screen to the login screen. Now, instead of having my username, it simply said Other User and had a blank login screen with "Sign in to: MYCOMPUTERNAME" below it. When I tried to log in using my username, it reboots. If I don't enter anything, it reboots after a few seconds anyway. I get stuck in a reboot loop. I could open in safe mode, where I can see our logins and documents, but still can get the blank login and restart loop with a typical start up.

I did a system refresh. Nothing changed. I mean, my programs are all gone, but outside of safe mode, it's still acting the same. I get to the login screen, OTHER USER, enter my username and password, hit enter, computer reboots. 

I used Run>msconfig and chose Diagnostic startup. It booted, not in Safe Mode, but obviously with limited features. My desktop photo was there now, as well as our usernames and, obviously, didn't say Safe Mode. Choosing Selective Startup and unchecking Load Startup Items took me back to the Other User screen which started the reboot loop. Choosing Selective Startup and unchecking Load system services gotme to the login screen with our pics and usernames, but then it started the reboot loop.

I screamed UNCLE.

PRESENT ISSUE:

I decided to backup everything and reset to factory settings. I chose reset from the advanced options. I confirmed. It began. Around 40% I got an "There was a problem resetting your PC." Now I can't do anything. I turn the computer on, it loads to the ACER screen and loops a reboot. I can f2 into the BIOS, if that will do anything at all. 

Is there anything I can do here? I just want to reset factory settings. I backed up everything I need. I am a total novice, but follow directions quite well. 

If this is a hard drive suicide, is there anyway to make a back up disk or something that will load everything if I replace the hard drive? 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

can you try if ALT+F10 works at boot?

installed OS?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • AmberInSweden
    Options

Alt+f10 does nothing. Reboot loop.

Windows 10 is installed. Windows 8 was the original OS. 

• IronFly
    Options

ok, i think you have 2 ways to follow (if you don't want the original Acer software):

Download windows 10 from Microsoft, choosing the right version and create a bootable USB flash drive with Windows Download Tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

try to reset your installation on repair PC option

or do a clean installation wiping your HDD, you don't need a product key, just skip those steps, once connected to microsoft server it will authenticate.

• AmberInSweden
    Options

I would be happy to have the original ACER software. I would be happy with anything that had it running. How would I get that back? I can't do anything but get into the Setup Utility. 

• IronFly
    Options

You need the original Acer erecovery media but it will be with windows 8.1

Acer recovery media
    if you are in the US you can buy it:
    http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

if you are outside the US, you must call/email your regional Acer support service:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• AmberInSweden
    Options

UPDATE: Alt+f10 worked. It pulled up the Continue or Troubleshoot screen. On Troubleshoot, I chose reset, then it said "Choose Target Operating System" and Window 10 was the only option. I chose that and it said to insert a disk. Any advice from here?

• IronFly
    Options

download windows 10 from my link above and create a bootable USB flash drive.

plug it and follow the same process.

notice that reset = clean windows 10 installation =no acer software

• AmberInSweden
    Options

You are going to think I am an idoit, but thank you so much for your help. I may see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Will my drivers still be installed? Will I have a nightmare of finding all of them?

• IronFly
    Options

AmberInSweden wrote:

You are going to think I am an idoit, but thank you so much for your help. I may see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Will my drivers still be installed? Will I have a nightmare of finding all of them?

Absolutly not thinking your are an *****. Smiley Happy

why i have to?

drivers and applications can be found on Acer support webpage

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

put you model number on serach by product model, once in your model support page, select the correct OS.

• AmberInSweden
    Options

Well, thank you again.

All downloaded to the USB just fine. I got to the, "Here's what will happen" screen, clicked next, chose, "Just remove my files," and reset, it went to the ACER screen, then to a screen that says:

There was a problem resetting your PC.

Cancel is the only option. I have gotten it three times. It's it a lost cause? Would replacing the hard drive be an option? 

• AmberInSweden
    Options

I tried again and it worked. You are a life saver. I wish I could buy you a beer or a donut or something. You have my many many thanks.

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome! Smiley Happy

a slice of apple pie will be perfect. ahahahaha