Model MS2394 restore factory Win7 image after Win10 upgrade

Options
tlmcca
tlmcca Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm helping a friend with a model MS2394 recover from a malware infection. Since she really doesn't use the laptop for anything other than the browser I am recommending a restore to the factory image which is Windows 7. The OS has been upgraded to Windows 10 via Microsoft's upgrade process and want to be sure that going back to W7 is not going to result in more problems. I'd appreciate any insight anyone can offer.

Terry

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

with a malware infection, the best thing to do is a complete HDD scan or your new installation can be infected too, since the windows.old folder or recovery partition are in the same HDD.

to revert back to windows 7, you have 2 options:

1) use windows 10 downgrade option:

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-and-downgrade-to-windows-7-or-8.1/

2) try to press ALT+F10 and if the Acer erecovery is still working, you will be prompted to reset your laptop (sometimes this starts windows 10 recovery only)

Side note: always create a factory recovery disks or USB media prior to major upgrades.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tlmcca
    tlmcca Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

IronFly: Thank you for your response. My preference is to use Acer Recovery Management to restore the factory image from the hidden partition given that I don't know when the infection happened relative to the W10 upgrade. Is that still feasible?

Terry

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

you have to try it, ALT+F10 at boot.

I'm not an Acer employee.