M3-581T Elan Touchpad is Dead

crosby1
crosby1 Member Posts: 9 New User

After Windows 7 reinstall, the Elan Touchpad doesn't work at all. It's completely unresponsive.

I reinstalled the drivers after the OS reinstall and the touchpad doesn't show at all in control panel -> mouse. The only thing that shows there is the extenal mouse I'm now using.

It also doesn't show in device manager.  I've put images below.

Any help to get touchpad back up and running is very much appreciated.

CONTROL PANEL -> MOUSE:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

DEVICE MANAGER:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

It looks to me like Elantech is recognized in control panel and mouse properties. They both have a Elan tab and that's a Elan driver. The PS/2 is your trackpad.

You sure you have a Elantech Trackpad and not a Synaptics?

TouchPadELANTECHTouchpad Driver11.6.4.001180.3 MB2012/08/31Download
    TouchPadSynapticsTouchpad Driver16.0.2.0101.7 MB2012/03/30Download

If you're not sure, run this and id it:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14387/~/hardware-vendor-detection-utility

If it is Elan, try uninstalling the driver, check delete software and reboot.Try it and if needed reinstall the driver.

• crosby1

Thanks. I ran the hardware dectection and this is what I got. The touchpad doesn't come up at all:

Capture.PNG

I then uninstalled the Elan software from Control Panel / Programs and tried a reinstall. Still not working. I also tried to install the Synaptic driver, but on reboot, there was an error message saying that driver was incompatible with the hardware on the laptop.

I'm at a loss. Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

• philetus

I just ran the Acer Hardware detection on mine and it also didn't detect the touchpad so, it's useless for that.

Go to Start, and type System Information in search.Go to Components/Input/Pointing Device and you should see the Trackpad.

• crosby1

Ok, so when I go to System Information as you suggest and click Pointing Devices, this is what I get:

Capture2.PNG

Trackpad doesn't appear. The only thing here is the USB mouse I'm using now.

BUT, when I open "Problem Devices", this is what comes up:

Capture.PNG 

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you again.

• philetus

Yes, the PS/2 in problem Devices is the Touchpad. The fact that it does't show in Components makes me think it's defective.

If it is operable it should show even with no drivers installed.

• crosby1

Great. How does something like this work one day and then cease to work the following day?

• philetus

Stuff breaks and sometimes you don't know it until the next time you try to use it.

I can't see how an install would mess up so bad that it couldn't recognize one of the components, but maybe starting over would make a difference.Did you use recovery, a retail disk, or a downloaded copy?

• crosby1

I used the Acer eRecovery. It was working before the reinstall, and then it didn't work afterwards.

• philetus

Try the recovery disk creator in Recovery.

• crosby1

So you're suggesting to do another reinstall but from recovery disk this time? I'm not sure I want to subject myself to that again; the first reinstall didn't go particularly smoothly.