Left hinge on E5-575G too tight

Mdstew
Mdstew Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in Aspire Laptops

My laptop, purchased 6 months ago has always had a tight left hinge.  It has recently gotten to the point where I cannot open or close it without a very real risk of the whole bezel cracking.  Unfortunately, when I attempted to claim this repair under the warranty, I was told that I would have to pay for the repair since it wasn't covered (!!!).  

Anyways, there is absolutely no way that I will pay the extreme price that Acer quoted me, as it was nearly the price of the laptop new.  However, I am having difficulty finding the specific model for the hinges to purchase and fix on my own.  While there are many acer hinges to be found, I am not sure which would be compatible.  Does anyone have any information on which hinges would be appropriate for replacements?

Thank you

Answers

• Mdstew
    Mdstew Member Posts: 2 New User

A small update, I have had my second (more clarifying) warranty claim to Acer rejected and also called the technical support hotline.  I was told that Acer does not cover physical damage.  Well, this is physical damage caused by their manufacturing processes.  I am very miffed at the moment that Acer cannot fix an issue that they caused.

But, on the brighter side, I am willing to attempt to fix this problem myself if I can find the proper replacement hinges.  Does anyone know which hinges are compatible?  All of the normal parts websites listed do not seem to list the E5-575G-53G next to any of their hinges so I have not been able to find the appropriate ones.  I hesitate to go through the parts supplier that Acer pointed me to, as I do not want to support Acer in any way in the future.

• dongyun
    dongyun Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the exactly same issue. My 9-month old E5-575G-53VG hinge was tight. This morning, the bezel came out when I opened the lid. Everytime I close and open, the gape between screen and plastic bezel at the hing became larger. Acer technical service quoted $279.99+shipping both ways to TX, saying this is not covered by limited warranty! I talked to other guy who was nicer and offered me no upfront payment except shipping to open the case but said I have to pay if their technician decides it is my fault. And they don´t want to see pictures of this hinge + screen bezel issue. Well, I think they will say the damage is due to my fault if I ship at my own cost, after reading all these complaints about ACER hinge issue. I open and close the laptop about 10 times per day for last 9-month. So, it is 2700 times of physical stress not covered by warranty. Really ??? 

If there is DIY recipe, please share. I may also go to Amazon and share this experience with users to get help.

• aedyall
    aedyall Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited October 2023
    Mine did that also. I've found that a smal binder clip holds it together but still allows it to open and close.
    It's a ***** [content removed] that Acer won't take care of this widespread, ongoing problem.

[edited the thread to hide sensitive information]
  • tyson99
    tyson99 Member Posts: 1 New User
    My laptop is out of warranty now and I have faced the same issue. Bcz of work from Home, I haven't closed the lid for a while to protect the screen body. As a DIY solution, I opened up the laptop separated the screen and oiled the hinged. Its better than before but it is still tight. I will be looking for replacement for a hinge from the local market, either a after market part or another manufacturer. I am convinced the Acer hinges are not durable enough.
  • butthurt_86
    butthurt_86 Member Posts: 74 Devotee WiFi Icon
    acer still produce Aspire E.? i thought discontinue .. 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
This discussion has been closed.