Intermittent wifi problems with E1-510 laptop When Power Cord Not Connected

Options
tdelios
tdelios Member Posts: 4 New User

I have the Acer E1-510-4413 model with windows 8.1. 64 bit OS

When the power cord is connected to the laptop, it works like a charm..

But when I disconnect the power cord, I find that the wifi connection will constantly lose connection to ANY wifi modem it was connected to regardless if the wifi was open or WPA encrypted.

Very frustrating to say the least when I have to be thered to the power cord on a full battery charge just so that I can have internet connectivity.

I checked the acer web site and there is no wifi drivers update so i'm at a loss why this is happening.  It has always happened ever since I boughtthe laptop ..

Best Answer

• tdelios
    Answer ✓
    Options

I figured out the problem myself..

Basically the wifi drivers that come pre-installed with windows 8 work fine.. but I bought the laptop at the time of 8.1 release and I did the windows update from 8.0 to 8.1 as required on my first night of having the brand new laptop.  I noticed tonight that the version drivers I have for my wifi were slightly older than what is posted on Acer's driver's download page for my model.

So once I uninstalled the existing wifi drivers, rebooted, then installed the new drivers and rebooted a second time, my wifi connection has been solid..

not sure why the existing drivers don't work with 8.1 properly, but luckily the updated drivers are on Acer's download page.

Answers

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

First I would try to load the default settings in the bios utility.

France
  • tdelios
    Options

I tried that as well.. no luck..

Besides, the BIOS has never been touched since I got the laptop.. so when I attempted to revert back to the default, there was no difference in the selected values.

any other suggestions..

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

You wrote:

"When the power cord is connected to the laptop, it works like a charm.."

"when I disconnect the power cord, I find that the wifi connection will constantly lose connection"

My opinion - not 100% sure:

When you connect the power supply, the cable between the box and DC-IN connector acts as an antenna (through the ground GND).

That means:

1. The antenna wires are "cut" somewhere. Certainly near the hinges.
    2. Or One of them is disconnected to the wifi board (black wire= main - white wire=auxi).

Wifi antenna - black wire

Wifi antenna - white wire
    France
  • tdelios
    Options

assuming it is not the wires..

which drivers can I download from Acer's web site that are directly related to the WIFI of the laptop so that I can re-install them and see if that works?

• tdelios
    Answer ✓
    Options

I figured out the problem myself..

Basically the wifi drivers that come pre-installed with windows 8 work fine.. but I bought the laptop at the time of 8.1 release and I did the windows update from 8.0 to 8.1 as required on my first night of having the brand new laptop.  I noticed tonight that the version drivers I have for my wifi were slightly older than what is posted on Acer's driver's download page for my model.

So once I uninstalled the existing wifi drivers, rebooted, then installed the new drivers and rebooted a second time, my wifi connection has been solid..

not sure why the existing drivers don't work with 8.1 properly, but luckily the updated drivers are on Acer's download page.