Install Linux on Acer Inspire E 17

Options
kellyfreet13
kellyfreet13 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Has anyone had success installing Linux on their Acer Inspire E 17 (or any number variant)? I have been trying to install Ubuntu for the past three days and have had no luck, and am trying with all my might to refrain from cursing on this discussion board. I read an article (not sure if it's true) saying that it is impossible to disable secure boot on many new PC models, and therefore impossible to install (dual-boot for me) any distro of Linux? I understand that Ubuntu claims to be able to run with secure boot enabled, but I have yet to be able to do so. Am I just an *****? 

Note: During the Ubuntu install process, it would give me the option to "install alongside Windows Boot Manager" rather than "install alongside Windows 10". I'm not sure if this is the issue, but I sure as heck hope it is and that someone can help me resolve it so I can use Linux to code for iOS since Apple is a bag of dog doo-doo (feel free to take liberty of assuming what I would use in place of 'doo-doo').

Thanks for the help anyone!

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Feel free to search the forum as there are quite a few topics about dual booting linux as well as many other topics.  Acer also has a youtube channel.  The steps below apply to **most** acer laptops with Insyde H2o UEFI.  Some newer models require that you also check Windows Update for firmware update.

1. Backup your important personal files in case something goes wrong.

2.  Create a USB factory default recovery drive in case something goes wrong.

3. Create a system image backup in case something goes wrong.

4. Make sure your BIOS/UEFI settings are default (and of course have Windows installed) (You can use Windows Disk Management to shrink your C drive to give you some unallocated space----so you can have room for Ubuntu----give yourself at least 35 GB).

5. Get latest BIOS/UEFI from Acer's website

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

6.  Go in UEFI settings and set a supervisor password ( and then save/exit).  This step will unlock advanced secure boot settings.

7. Create Ubuntu (or whatever) USB installation media with rufus (UEFI-GPT/fat32/iso)

8.  Go back in to UEFI settings and add Grub to the trusted secure boot settings and also enable the F12 boot menu (and then save/exit).

9. Install 64bit Ubuntu as EFI with secure boot enabled in the UEFI.

10.  Those steps above will allow Windows to boot by default......if you want Linux, then you just tap F12 at the Acer boot screen.

I'm not an Acer employee.