Hi. Not a techie. Sickly old man. ACER E5 521-23KH, Win 8.1.

Options
diddlewhite
diddlewhite Member Posts: 1 New User

Acer E5 521-23KH, Win 8.1

Got malware soon after buying this new. Tried recovery process, got stuck in loop, I could find no way out. Gave up and formatted drive and installed Linux Mint. Video accelerator, touchpad and wifi didn't work on Mint. Ordered Win 8.1 recovery USB stick from Acer. I can't get it to install. Export Install WiM fail. What steps do I follow to get this install to work?

Your help is much appreciated.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

diddlewhite,

I think if you wipe your hard drive clean using "diskpart" clean", you'll be able to use your recovery USB stick from acer.

The link below tells you how to use "diskpart clean".  "Diskpart clean" will wipe out your entire hard drive.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

Just be careful that you don't accidently wipe the Acer USB recovery drive.

"Diskpart clean" is done from a command prompt.  I've never used Acer's recovery media so I can't say for sure, but it might have tools such as the "command prompt" if you navigate the menu of the Acer USB drive that they mailed you.

If the Acer recovery USB doesn't have any tools, then you'll have to create and use the generic Microsoft windows 8.1 recovery USB flash drive and then after you boot the USB flash drive, look for "Repair your computer".  After you select that, it will take you to a menu where you get in to advanced options and you can navigate until you find "command prompt".

You'll  have to create the Microsoft Windows 8.1 recovery USB on a different Windows PC....or have a friend/neighbor/relative do it for you.  It's pretty easy to do although I tried creating a Microsoft Windows 8.1 recovery drive a couple weeks ago while using Windows 10 and it wouldn't let me.  So you might have to create it using a Windows 8.1 PC.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

After you use "diskpart clean", exit out of there and navigate in the menu until you find "shutdown your computer".  Shutdown your computer and remove the generic recovery drive and insert the Acer recovery drive and turn on your computer and.....it should work.

Edit: If you have previously altered any BIOS settings, now would be the time to load the BIOS defaults.  If you haven't previously gone in and messed with any BIOS settings, then disregard.

I'm not an Acer employee.