ES15 Touchpad quit working, not showing in devices

Options
ronwins3
ronwins3 Member Posts: 7 New User

Touchpad not showing up in device manager, yes already tried the Fn /F7, re-installed driver:no fix..this is recent problem, has been working fine with Windows 10.  I have read several posts on this subject. I seem to remember that unit must first discover the device (the touchpad) and THEN you install the driver, or update the driver.  Doe this "Elan" driver also update the "mouse" driver? The reason I ask is when I go into the driver info for my mouse, it shows today's date.  My mouse is logitech USB wireless.

I am just not used to having a device simply disappear from the device manager! any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ron

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

Click on the driver. Is it Logitech, MS, or Elan. 

Go to Control Panel/ Programs and Features/View installed updates and see if the Logitech

got updated by Windows Update.If yes, was that when the touchpad disappeared?

Answers

• philetus
    Answer ✓
    Options

Click on the driver. Is it Logitech, MS, or Elan. 

Go to Control Panel/ Programs and Features/View installed updates and see if the Logitech

got updated by Windows Update.If yes, was that when the touchpad disappeared?

• ronwins3
    Options

Thanks to philetus' recommendation, although unable to see a microsoft update or an Elan update recently, I uninstalled ACROBAT READER that had been installed a few days ago. I then reverted to a system restore point for 11/2/2015 which had been created by Iolo (System Mechanic) prior to its update.

VOILA! TOUCHPAD IS BACK AND WORKING PERFECTLY!

I don't think the Iolo update caused this, because I am showing that I am up to date with System Mechanic.  I am leaning more toward either a conflict with Acrobat, or a problem with Acrobat. 

I am crediting philetus though, because he was on the right path!

• ronwins3
    Options

Thank You Philetus!

Your recommendation got me to refer back to any significant changes that had occurred about a week ago. I am not sure, but I think the installation of Acrobat Reader may have caused the loss of the Elan touchpad.  I took advantage of a system restore point of 11/2/2015 that Iolo had made before it had updated its program.  Problem was fixed, and I can now see my scratchpad in devices. I will try again soon to install Acrobat and see if that really did cause problem.

Thanks again

Ron

• philetus
    Options

Glad I could help Ron.

• ronwins3
    Options

Ok, I finally pinned down my problem with the disappearance of the scratchpad / touchpad! (problem was NOT caused by Acrobat, or by Iolo !)  There is a battery of driver updates for "System Devices" / Intel R/ CeleronR/ Atom R/ all dated 8/17/2015, for several (like 7) devices (PCI Express root port 4,root port 3, SMBus root port 1, SoC Trans Router, etc) From INTEL.  All were acceptable to my ACER ES15 EXCEPT: Processor Serial IO (SIO) I2C PORT 1 dated 8/17/15 CAUSES TOTAL LOSS (DISAPPEARANCE) OF TOUCHPAD MOUSE.

EASIEST FIX: Upon disappearance of scratchpad functionality (assuming you have already tried Fn + F7) use a USB mouse, navigate to Control Panel/ Device Manager/ scroll down almost to bottom, click "SYSTEM DEVICES", Double click "I2C CONTROLLER", Click on "DRIVER" TAB, now note the date of that driver.  If it is 8/17/15, click on "ROLL BACK DRIVER' .  It may require a restart...but that driver (in my case) now became dated: 11/13/14.  

And your touchpad should return!

Additionally, I notice my touchpad (Elan) appears under Human Interface Devices, HID-compliant touchpad, on the general tab states its location is  "on I2C HID Device" with a driver date of 6/21/2006.  And the "I2C HID Device" is also showing a driver date of 6/21/2006.

Hope all this ***** helps somebody!   Thanks for all your help.