ES1-512-P18H Laptop, bought new, installed Linux, now "No Bootable Devices Found" on startup.

Options
deejf
deejf Member Posts: 3 New User

Pardon me if this comes off as combative, but I'm deeply frustrated at the moment.

I've got a brand new laptop, the ES1-512-P18H. Bought it Sunday, yesterday I wiped the drive and installed Fedora 22 (XFCE spin) on it, and when I tried to boot, almost instantly I got "No Bootable Devices Found".

I went into the BIOS/UEFI, turned off the secure boot option, changed the boot order to look for the hard drive first (it was and is still seeing the hard drive), and still no luck.

Then I turned on the F12 boot menu option, because I was flailing around for things to fix or change. And yesterday, that worked! So I spent the day installing software and tweaking preferences so that I felt like it was my working environment.

I was annoyed that I had to go through such an unnecessary monkey dance just to get my personal hardware to start, but hey, if it worked, it worked.

Today, it doesn't work. There was nothing at all in the F12 boot menu.

I'm typing this from a boot from the live DVD I used to do the install, and that took several attempts and quite a long time to get going this morning.

I bought the laptop with Windows on it because there was no other choice. So, fine, I paid the license fee built into the cost.

What I did not pay for was crippled hardware that forbids me to use the operating system of my choice in the way that I choose.

So, apart from telling me to go "back" to Windows 10 (which I never booted into in the first place, and don't want, and never will want or deal with if I can possibly do otherwise), can anyone tell me how to get my laptop to boot up and work the way I want it to? Or, at all?

I'm a writer. I don't want to waste days and days getting my hardware to work, I want to be writing.

Answers