ES1-131-C3FQ keyboard not working. Replace motherboard?

Options
Medper_uk
Medper_uk Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi All..

First post here.  I have a ES1-131-C3FQ which i have recently found out has quite a common fault "Keyboard not working"!!  Having replaced the entire palmrest/keyboard assembly, Flashed Bios to latest verion, Reset Battery, Factory restored OS (WIN 8.1).

Still no keys are working.

I'm now left considering replacing the motherboard.

I wondered if there is anyone who knows if it's worthwhile replacing it with a better motherboard as this one has no SATA header and is limited to 32gb eMMC, I believe it is Celeron N3050 CPU and 2gb RAM.  Which model should i be looking for if i were to do this?

Any useful advice would be greatly appreciated

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,095 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

First do you use the version pre-installed of Windows (shipped with the laptop)?

France
  • Medper_uk
    Medper_uk Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for reply.  Yes, I performed a full factory restore which is Win 8.1 OS.

On a side note, I managed to get into system bios using an external USB keyboard and found that integrated keyboard didn't work even from there. Was i right assuming that it's not a WIN 8 Driver issue?  If i manage to get a WIN 10 image onto a bootable USB stick i'll post results from that  (I'm pretty certain the result will be the same tho).

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

If it was not working in bios mode and you replaced the whole assembly yea, must be a motherboard issue. Odd tho, normally that is not a failure prone thing, by this I mean electronically speaking the keyboard interface on motherboard rarely fails without some major mishap which usually damages more than that. Your confident the connector for the keyboard ribbon is fully inserted and locked in? Did you see any visible weakness in the solder connection of the keyboard ribbon connector jack? I'd take a good light and a magnifier and look at the solder points of the motherboard keyboard connector. Cold solder joint can cause this and just a reflow of the solder could fix its operation using a good decent tip and some flux core solder. I'd tin the tip of the solder iron and touch up each pin refreshing tin on tip as needed.