E5 574G-52QU - HDD to SSD: "no bootable device"

Options
tenhauser
tenhauser Member Posts: 6 New User

I recently got a E5 574G-52QU, today I got a new SSD to replace the HDD that came with my laptop. New SSD is a Crucial BX100 (120GB). I cloned the HDD into my SSD with two different programs succesfully, but the SSD failed to boot with both. It booted once, kept working after a few soft reboots until I turned the computer off, then it never booted again. I've tried disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS as well as using Legacy BIOS instead of UEFI, no luck. The SSD is connected to the same SATA port the old HDD was and it's the only drive in the computer, Windows 10 has AHCI support enabled in the registry (I made sure of it before cloning) and the drive is working, tested it on my desktop computer. The BIOS shows no drive at all, if I plug in my HDD instead it boots without problems. SSD firmware is updated to the latest version. I am honestly out of ideas.

EDIT: Okay guys, so I did some tests. Meaning, I put my SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (my desktop main OS drive) in my laptop and the Crucial BX100 in my desktop PC.

Laptop recognizes the Samsung right away in the BIOS without issues.

Desktop recognizes the Crucial BX100 right away in the BIOS (and Windows too) without issues.

The only thing I can assume with this is that, as IronFly puts it, the laptop chipset/bios doesn't support the BX100 OR the SSD really needs a firmware update.

It's stupid, Crucial's website clearly states that the BX100 is 100% compatible with this laptop model. I sent an e-mail to Crucial earlier but still no luck.

So, guys, if you're planning on upgrading your E5 574 with this SSD my advice is AVOID. It's not working. Go with Samsung. Thanks for your input, guys. I think, for now, this issue doesn't really have a solution unless a future BIOS update addresses it on Crucial or Acer's part.

Answers

• MattmanCDN
    MattmanCDN Member Posts: 108

Tinkerer

Options

I know this sounds simple  but are you sure the drive is seated properly  I have come across this a few times .

• tenhauser
    Options

Yeah, I've made sure of it. It fits tightly using the old HDD spacer thing.

• MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

Options

ok those caddys are dead on actually,  maybe look and see if there is a bios update for the laptop that adresses this .im gonna do some other searching too!

• tenhauser
    Options

Thanks. I did look up firmware updates for the BIOS, I have 1.11, and the latest (1.13) doesn't address any issues regarding SSDs or booting. I don't want to risk updating it and bricking the laptop unless it's stated that it will fix it.

• MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

Options

Ok and cool on that dicision,  so how exactly did you clone the drive cuz windows installs happen best on unallocated space creating there own boot partition and then the bios sees them, so now  wondering if the drive has hickup from the clone and bios is blind to it.

• MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

Options

If you still have the stock hdd with your OS intact  , wipe the SSD  do a clean install of windows via usb rufus or dvd ISO if you have one  on unalocated space and see if it works thru that setup then you know your clone is fatucked [highly technical term if there ever was one ].......just thinkin out loud

• tenhauser
    Options

I tried two different programs: EaseUS Todo Backup and Reflect to make an exact clone of my Win10 installation. I did the same when I migrated my desktop to an SSD last year and had no problems at all (although with a Samsung 840 EVO and Win7). I think the issue goes beyond the cloning process as I'm unable to even see the drive in the BIOS boot settings, but I am actually downloading Windows10 right now to make an USB bootable installation as a last resort and see what happens. Thanks!

• MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

Options

Let us know how that goes !

• tenhauser
    Options

So, I made a bootable flash drive with a clean version of Windows 10. Set it up to boot, clicked install and... no drives detected. Out of ideas.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

If BIOS doesn't recognise your SSD, you can't do pretty much in my opinion.

Can be an incompatibility issue between chipset and SSD controller.

just to check everything, enter BIOS and check if HDD password is set to frozen.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tenhauser
    Options

Okay guys, so I did some tests. Meaning, I put my SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (my desktop main OS drive) in my laptop and the Crucial BX100 in my desktop PC.

Laptop recognizes the Samsung right away in the BIOS without issues.

Desktop recognizes the Crucial BX100 right away in the BIOS (and Windows too) without issues.

The only thing I can assume with this is that, as IronFly puts it, the laptop chipset/bios doesn't support the BX100 OR the SSD really needs a firmware update.

It's stupid, Crucial's website clearly states that the BX100 is 100% compatible with this laptop model. I sent an e-mail to Crucial earlier but still no luck.

So, guys, if you're planning on upgrading your E5 574 with this SSD my advice is AVOID. It's not working. Go with Samsung. Thanks for your input, guys. I think, for now, this issue doesn't really have a solution unless a future BIOS update addresses it on Crucial or Acer's part.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

You welcome. 

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MattmanCDN

Tinkerer

Options

tenhauser that is really odd ,  was dedicated myself to Mushkin G2 but they gettin harder to find so now im trying Adata sp550 as they  75 plus tax for 240GB and almost as fast . at least swappin the drives saved your situation .

• DattiLOL
    DattiLOL Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Hi~Have you ever create a bootable media in SSD? Which makes you boot PC from SSD. Without it, I don't think anyone can boot successfully, and don't forget to set BIOS to boot from SSD.