E5-573G display driver has stopped responding error

Options
ADN
ADN Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

I have bought a new Aspire E5 laptop for Christmas and ever since i have been getting the following error :

"Display driver Intel HD Graphics for Windows stopped responding and has successfully recovered". Every time this happens the screen flashes and if i am in a game it might crash. I noticed that i can reproduce this consistently if i open Acer Care Center or if I download a game through steam (weird).
    I have tried the following solutions this far with no success:
   1. Installed different versions of windows : 7, 8.1, 10 ( I currently am using 10)
   2. Tried different versions of the intel graphics driver. I have tried the one on the acer site, the one on intel's site, as well as older version of those drivers.
   3. Checked memory and ssd for errors.
   4. Increased the gpu processing time to 8.

I know the error is caused by the intel graphics diver because if i uninstall it all is well except for the fact i

can't really play any games anymore. Also occasionally i get a bsod with the error: "kernel_security_check_failure".

Any help is welcomed, Thanks

Answers

• skallywag74
    skallywag74 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

hi i read your probolom with acer graphics driver stopped responding but has now recovered, windows 10,

i have the same issue i have an acer aspire E 15 E5-571 upgraded to windows 10 its not only games it happens to but sometimes when im browsing the news, did you find a solution or can you suggest any thing i should do

• rebit
    rebit Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

I would like to add I have also had this issue on my E5-571 (originally Windows 8.1) and now Windows 10.

It is intermittent but I often get issues with W10 apps hanging (when using Modern UI basically) and occasionally browsers will freeze. Also a particular issue is on the Welcome screen, I can't login unless I press CTRL/ALT/DEL - pressing a key or the touchpad it is as if the machine is frozen. But it is not every time!

When the browser freezes I can release it with the same method, often CTRL/ALT/DEL returns the control of the active tab and allows me to open new ones. I was a long time with the browser as there were software issues with other software and plugins that are now resolved.

Since the March updates there has been a problem with Action Centre not responding, but that was eliminated by uninstalling Skype and Messaging (I use desktop Skype which is unrelated). I am pretty sure it is not software, I have refreshed, reset and clean-installed to no avail. I have ran memory and hard drive diagnostics that are clear. I have tried power management settings (a lot of W10 GFX issues can be due to power saving) but the problem cannot be replicated, it just occurs randomly but daily. Highly frustrating!

I have a 5th Gen Intel Core (i7-5500U) and I am not sure if BIOS microcodes for Broadwell are implemented in UEFI 1.31 plus I cannot install Intel drivers as they are not compatible with the hardware. Acer's own driver is very old (Aug 15) and there have been 2 Intel releases (including 1 beta) for my CPU/GPU that I am unable to install.

I am nearing the end of my warranty period (already had a motherboard replacement) and I am suffering these glitches daily but without a specific fault to RMA the machine again I don't see how I can resolve the issues. Drivers are my last hope. I can't afford to buy my way out of the problem.

For the record I have a Haswell desktop (i3-4330) that has run 8.1 and 10 pretty much flawlessly, but it has a discrete nVidia GPU, apart from one driver barf that affected many it's been totally reliable.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

I suggest you all, to update BIOS to the latest version.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • rebit
    Options
    I have already updated to UEFI 1.31
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options

Have you tried stopping windows update installing drivers? If not, go to Control panel, System, Advance system settings, click Hardware tab, Device Installation settings, select "No" radio button. It might solve the problem.

Capture 1.JPG

• rebit
    Options

What I don't understand is the inconsistency of the driver updates.

On two clean installs, it's gone two seperate ways. One way, I installed the Acer driver then rolled it back to Microsoft Basic Graphics Adapter and it updated with Intel's tool then took a WU.

The other way, I don't install the Acer Driver and it is detected as Microsoft Basic Graphics Adapter, the Intel utility can't find drivers. Eventually a WU is installed (a 'unified/class' driver).

This way I've left it on the Acer driver and contrary to your advice, it has NOT installed a WU driver.

This would seem (to my logic), that once the Acer driver is installed it more accurately describes the hardware, and prevents any (Windows generic) updates from installing.

I've inspected the Intel (Beta) driver structure and the Acer one and this would seem to confirm my thinking. I don't think a simple .inf hack will cut it. IANAP!