E5-573G-56RG 2nd FDD caddy for SSD

pfeinauer
pfeinauer Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello all,

I just got the aspire E5-573g-56RG and absolutely love it.

I wanted to install a SSD drive in it, and would rather just install it in the optical drive blank bay.  (My unit does not have an optical drive).  I am an intermediate to advance hardware replacement computer user, so replacing the hard drive with an SSD is no problem, just more difficult / time consuming them just using the caddy spot.  

When looking over the universal 2nd hdd caddies, it seems that all of them require you to use a bezel from your original dvd drive.  So I guess my questions are:

#1: Is there a HDD caddy in which I can just install it into the blank's spot I have now?

#2: If the answer to #1 above is no, does this mean I would have to buy an internal optical drive for the laptop, get one of the universal adapters, and then use the bezel off of the internal optical to use the generic caddy?

Thanks!

-Pat

Answers

• pfeinauer

Can't figure out how to edit.

I wanted to clarify that this was for a HDD caddy, not a floppy disk drive caddy.

-Pat

• digitalren
    digitalren Member Posts: 7 New User

You're not the only one.  I've been in touch with other like-minded new owners of this machine who find the stock 5400 RPM HDD inadaquate.  With the exception of the HDD, the hardware on this laptop is relatively good, but Windows 10 just feels really sluggish running on that thing.  If the case/cover was more servicible, I'd love to just replace the HDD myself.  But the thing doesn't appear to be designed for mortal hands...

FYI, the EDIT feature is accessed by clicking on the gear icon at the corner of your message.

• pfeinauer

Thanks.  I'm wondering if it wouldn't let me edit a 2nd time.  

What I've decided to do is to grab a dvd drive.  Go through the recovery process and create a recovery DVD.  Take out the internal hard drive, and replace with SSD, and then try to factory default the software onto the SSD.  What I'm finding the problem is, all the hard drive caddies that I could find on the net, require you use the bezel from the DVD rom to get the hard drive to stay inside.  

I've already added 8 more gigs of memory to it, for 16.  I got PNY modules from best buy and the computer wouldn't boot.  I found the same exact SAMSUNG brand on Amazon, put it in and it worked.

The computer is actually pretty nice, but it is difficult to upgrade.

-Pat

• digitalren
    digitalren Member Posts: 7 New User

Hmmm...

The instructions I was referred to suggests using a 32gb flash drive to creat the recovery media on a bootable USB interface.  I just bought 2 for ~ $10 each: (promo code expires today!)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211763

You've already upgraded the RAM?  How did you open the thing up?  I had a hell of a time but I was only able to crack it open to remove a bit of plastic that was rattling inside my newly unbox laptop.  Removing all the back screws first, I also undid the 3 flat screws near outside of the CD drive slot.  But thereafter,  The usb ports, HDMI port, and everything else kept the thing clamed shut and I couldn't figure out how to fully access the motherboard.  There is a review from someone who was similarly able to upgrade:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/SingleProductReview.aspx?ReviewID=4433325

that referred to some ribbons?

Please help!

• pfeinauer

Take out all the smaller screws on the bottom of the laptop.  There should be 18 in total.  Then there are 3 large flathead screws that are close to the DVD bezel (blank plate).  Being very careful, you can now just seperate the keyboard from the bottom of the laptop.  But once again, be very careful.  There are small clips that hold it together.  I just pried up with my thumbnail (probably not the best way) and eventually got it apart.  Mine was hanging up on the VGA connector quite a bit.

After that, there is a single connector that holds the keyboard to the motherboard, unplug that and voila, the keyboard comes off.  Ram slots are right by the connector.  

---------------

I loaded the Recovery app and it was trying to backup my hard drive, to nothing (I hope lol).  My 32gig flash drive has important stuff on it, but I'll try that.

-Pat