E5-571 Can't activate windows after using factory reset software

Options
JimmyWang
JimmyWang Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi guys,

So I've got a E5-571 that I had to wipe using Acer's recovery software. I choose the full wipe option which reset my computer back to factory conditions. Unfortunately, my computer is now telling me I need to activate my copy of windows. I used to Belarc advisor to pull my product key, but Windows is saying that key didnt work. Additionally I bought a copy of Windows 8 Pro from my school and tried that key and it didnt work. Would buying Acer's recovery media and using that allow me to have a activated copy of windows? Or alternatively, if I installed the Windows 8 from my school and used their product key, would that work?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Best Answer

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

From your question, it seems that you have got Windows pre-installed by Acer. If this is the case, you are advised to contact Acer support through the link below to get your Windows key:
    http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service

Hope this will help you.

• JimmyWang
    JimmyWang Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

In an ideal world that would've been great, however my pc's out of warranty and the 3rd party service would only tell me to buy a retail copy of windows and install that. I ended up finding a thread about getting a clean install version of 8.1. Installed it over whatever was running on my pc, everything works like new now. Thank you though!