E5-522-89W6: Intermittent Random Reboot Issue

narcolepsypanda
narcolepsypanda Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I purchased an E5-522 laptop about a month ago. Overall, its performance has been good, but there is one flaw that is tempting me to now return it to the store: it randomly reboots itself.

This is, as one can imagine, extremely irritating. I work largely in Google Docs, so I'm not losing work, but it nevertheless interrupts workflow.

I'm currently running the out-of-the-box Insyde Corp. v1.08 BIOS. The issue does not seem to happen with respect to any particular task: it happens sometimes when I'm just doing some writing, or during video playback, or while nothing is running other than Spotify. I've checked the drivers for the video card, and checked the RAM, and checked the power settings to see if there was some inadvertent timer going off, but there's nothing. The battery is not low either, and the issue happens from time to time regardless of whether or not the laptop is attached to an outlet via the power adapter.

The specific nature of the reboot is this: there is a 'click' sound, such as when the laptop normally performs a shutdown. The screen goes entirely black. Then, the Acer logo pops up as the BIOS starts, and then messages are displayed, telling me that Windows failed to start normally, that my PC is being diagnosed, and finally bringing me to the choice of Restart or Advanced Options (continue, repair, reinstall, etc.).

Suggestions for resolving this issue?