E5-511 screen turns off when plugged in

Options
StumpmiesterC
StumpmiesterC Member Posts: 1 New User

Hey all,

My Acer E5-511's screen turns off when I plug it in. The rest of it's still going and is there waiting for me when I unplug it. On battery power it works fine. I've gone through the power options and nothing really seemed to be related to this issue. If anyone can help or has had the same problem let me know!

Thanks!

Answers

• jeff2
    jeff2 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Mine has this problem. I dont have a fix, but I have a work-around. I am looking for a fix, and with dells it seems to be in BIOS settings and you turn up brightness.

The work-around is, shut the laptop. Wait for blinking orange LED. When it goes to sleep, then re-open. Click the mousepad. Boom

please let me know if you find a FIX

• brendanr67
    brendanr67 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

Hi, I have the same problem. Only have the laptop a week and contacted curry's tech support 3 times already but the issue still exists.

• skugler99
    skugler99 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have the same problem. Your work around worked for me- thanks!

• jeff2
    jeff2 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Great! So I figured out that you turn off Fast Startup, a windows feature that is basically only making the computer sleep when you shut it down. Turn this feature off, the problem goes away. The display is going black every OTHER time. It is going back and forth between your "brightness plugged in" setting, and the opposite of that setting. That's why it works when you have the computer fully shut down and not set to hibernate or sleep when shut down. The instructions to turn off fast startup are here www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html
    Thanks!
  • brendanr67
    brendanr67 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

I have the fast start-up turned off but problem persists, but not all the time.

• DXCortEX
    DXCortEX Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

It seems the contrast settings are somewhat backward. If the plugged in brightness is set all the way to the right (which should mean max light) it actually closes the screen. On my laptop, it seems the values are inverted or something. Putting the brightness all the way to the left stopped the closing screen when plugged and added brightness. This simple thing seemed to fix it. Also, the screen doesnt close if you put the same setting for battery brightness.

This is all very weird imho. Something strange with acer and windows 10?

Edit: Okay so i think i might have it...

1. Start up and turn off fast start up in power options ( i haven't found a way to fix the screen 100% when fast start up is on, it seems to invert brightness values on start up for some reason)

2. Pull the screen down (until orange light start blinking, as it is put in wait)

3. Start back and adjust plugged brightness without putting it all the way to the right. At this time, the values will NOT be inverted anymore, regarding what i previously mentionned.

4. With changed setting, do a shut down of your laptop. Do NOT reactivate fast start up.

Now when you start it plugged, the screen should be okay.

Hopefully this helps someone. A way to keep fast start up and notice no difference would be to set the plugged brightness right in the middle, as it wont appear different between start and coming back from wait.