E3-111 bios not saving settings, nor will it update (to 1.37 from 1.35).

Options
cw9000
cw9000 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi.

My bios isn't updating the new settings I give it.  Updating the date and time works.  Changing from Legacy to UEFI boot does not work(it doesn't survive a reboot).  I thought the CMOS rechargeable battery might be the problem but it's saying 3.04V.  Changing boot order doesn't get saved, nor do any settings on the main screen like Touchpad[Advanced] to Touchpad[Basic].

I tried resetting to defaults, which changes to UEFI but the change to defaults does not survive a reboot.

So I thought maybe it might be that the bios needed to be flashed to a new one, or reflashed to the same one or something.  Booted into Windows 10 and ran the updater to 1.37.  It extracts then shows me the old bios version and new version. It never asks me for comfirmation.  a second after the program says erasing and writing, windows restarts.  Nothing bad happens, but bios is not updated to 1.37.  Older versions of BIOS don't work with the program.

I'm lucky my computer is not bricked.  Everything is very much functional, but I really wanted to try to set the touchpad to basic because linux doesn't like my touchpad and I've had problems with it.  I've installed the latest kernel opensuse offers but still have problems with touchpad.  Using a mouse works, but not practical in all instances.