E1-731-4699 motherboard part number

Options
AlecWest
AlecWest Member Posts: 9 New User

Outside of "cracking the box" to look for it, how would I find the part number (and maker) of the motherboard used in my laptop?  I recently bought the model shown on my subject line.  And the reason why I bought it is because the motherboard died on the HP I was using before.  So, while my Acer Aspire model is still being sold, I'd like to buy two or three replacement motherboards for it to keep in storage - in case I need them in the future.

P.S.  I'd also like to know the part number (and maker) of the screen.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,067 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

The motherboard is:

NB.MG711.001MAIN BD.UMA (ACER)

If you use the Windows pre-installed version, you have to buy it from your Acer store.

You can request a quote and place an order from your Acer store by tchat or by phone.

The LCD panels are:

Spoiler
    KL.17305.001LCD PANEL.LED.17.3"WXGA.GL (AUO)
    KL.17308.001LCD PANEL.LED.17.3".WXGA+.GL.LF (LG PHILIPS)
    KL.1730D.001LCD PANEL.LED.17.3.WXGA+.GL (CHIMEI)
    France
  • AlecWest
    Options

laurent_14 --- Thanks for the info.  But I confess I'm confused by your statement, quote, "If you use the Windows pre-installed version, you have to buy it from your Acer store."  Could you explain that?  Why is a motherboard (hardware) particular about whether or not my Windows 7 (software) version is pre-installed?

Windows 7 was pre-installed on my laptop.  But in the future, it's my intention to "clone" the existing 500GB hard drive to a 1TB hard drive - removing the recovery partition and including the new free space in the hard drive's "C" partition.  If I do this, will the existing motherboard recognize the new hard drive?

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

Your Windows license is linked with your serial number and some others datas contained in the bios.

There will be no probem with the new HDD. But if you change the structure/mapping (partitions), you'll encounter difficulties to restore the system with the recovery media.

Explanation:

Microsoft OEM Partner Center:

"Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty."

France
  • AlecWest
    Options

laurent_14 wrote:

Hello,

Your Windows license is linked with your serial number and some others datas contained in the bios.

There will be no probem with the new HDD. But if you change the structure/mapping (partitions), you'll encounter difficulties to restore the system with the recovery media.

Explanation:

Microsoft OEM Partner Center:

"Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty."

Let me pose a hypothetical situation.  Let's say I bought Windows 7 Home Premium software (and a valid license for it) and overwrote the existing hard drive with the new installation.  Would the BIOS/motherboard "reject" the new installation?  Or would it just void my Acer warranty and make it impossible to use the Acer recovery feature?

If all that would happen is to void the warranty and the recovery feature, I could live with that.  It's ultimately my intention to "clone" the hard drive to a bigger one (1TB) without the Acer recovery partition.   And then, I'd clone the cloned drive, too - storing it in a safe place.  This cloning would take place on a frequent basis ... so the offline cloned drive would remain in a "last best state" situation.  If I had a hard drive crash, I'd much rather restore it to "last best state" than use any recovery scenario to restore "factory default settings."

The only other things I'd want "backups" for is the LCD screen and the motherboard.  And as long as the BIOS/motherboard would "accept" the new configuration, everything else would be copasetic.

• laurent_14
    Options

1- If you buy a Genuine Windows 7 (DVD install), you wouldn't "link" with the serial number. You'd have your own key lisence so you'd have to active it.

2-  About the warranty, I suggest you to read the terms.

3- About the Acer recovery media, yes if you have always the original motherboard at this time (restore).

France
  • AlecWest
    Options

laurent_14 wrote:

1- If you buy a Genuine Windows 7 (DVD install), you wouldn't "link" with the serial number. You'd have your own key lisence so you'd have to active it.

2-  About the warranty, I suggest you to read the terms.

3- About the Acer recovery media, yes if you have always the original motherboard at this time (restore).

Thanks again.  On the warranty, well, let's just say that over the years, I've come to the opinion that a hardware warranty plus 10 cents still won't buy you a cup of coffee.  Minor stuff I can do on my own.  I leave the major stuff to a local mom/pop shop - a husband/wife team of "geeks" who know their stuff.

In any case, while both Acer and Microsoft issues are involved, it seems that it's more Microsoft than Acer.  So, I put the question directly to a Microsoft Windows 7 forum.  This is what I posted - and if they reply, I'll post their response here:

Since 2011, I've been using an HP laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium. It was pre-installed by a major-brand chain-store where I bought it. I didn't really give it much thought (that it was pre-installed) and did what most home users do. First, I uninstalled all the bloatware I knew I'd never use. Then, I installed all the software I really wanted to use and went along my merry way - thinking that my only major worry was a hard-drive crash. So, I did routine backups on DVD disks.

Earlier this month, the unthinkable happened - my HP's motherboard died. Hoping that it didn't affect my hard drive, I bought a docking station ... to try to reclaim all the sensitive and essential data on the HP's hard drive. And, I bought a new Windows laptop ... an Acer ... one of the few laptops still available with Windows 7 Home Premium onboard. Why Windows 7?

Earlier in the year, I'd bought my niece an Acer laptop with Windows 8.1 pre-installed as a graduation present. But in the process of setting it up for her, I came to the opinion that I hated the OS (especially the "Metro" part). And since I figured Windows 10 would possibly be worse than Windows 8.1, I decided that I'd likely upgrade to Windows 10 on the first frosty night - in August (grin).

Luck was with me. The old HP hard drive was unaffected. And with the docking station, and via USB3, I reclaimed everything worth saving from it. And now, all is right with the world - at least for the moment. However, I decided on a new course of action. First, I planned to bump up the RAM from 4GB to 8GB. Then, I'd abandon the traditional "backup" procedure. I decided I'd "clone" the Acer's hard-drive (500GB) to a larger hard-drive (1TB), removing Acer's recovery partition. And once installed that way - with the extra space added to the main "C" partition, I'd clone the cloned drive on a regular basis so I could restore my computer to a "last best state" with all the software I wanted onboard. After all, recovery partitions are only as good as the hard-drive where they reside. And restoring it to a "last best state" situation seemed much better than restoring it to "factory default" settings. Beyond that, I planned on buying a couple of backup motherboards - identical to the one my Acer uses now - and a couple of backup LCD screens - storing them all in the usual "cool dry place" recommended for such things.

However, when I mentioned these plans to others, I got dire warnings that I'd be violating the Windows 7 EULA ... and that my computer would stop working because I'd changed the nature of my computer in fundamental ways that ran afoul of Acer's agreement with Microsoft on their pre-installed Windows 7 Home Premium OS. For the moment, I'm assuming that this is true. But I'm wondering if I have an option. Can I, for example, buy my own license for Windows 7 Home Premium ... and override the current license in force which is owned by Acer. If so, what would be the procedure for doing this?

If I can't do this, then I guess I'm "stuck" with things "as they are." In any case, I want to know what my options are at this point.

If the news they give me is unworkable, I still do have one option. I can go to my local mom/pop shop and have them "build" me a laptop, installing my own licensed version of Windows 7 Home Premium on a system of my own choosing. Afterward, I could use the Acer as a paperweight (grin).

P.S.  To be totally honest, if I could find Linux software that would allow me to do everything I wanted to do with a computer, I'd dump Microsoft OSs in a heartbeat.  But as they say, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."