Can't upgrade ram on Aspire E5-771G

Dr_Thackery
Dr_Thackery Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi,

I have big problem with this otherwise decent laptop - I bought this mainly because good price and matte display, but it has only 4gb ram. I thought it wouldn't be much of an issue, that I'll just buy another ram module and plug it in. Problem is - it doesn't work at all.

First I tried it with some random brand 4gb ram (supposedly compatible type, but I'dont remember whole specs). When I've put it in the second slot, my laptop just booted and showed still the same 4gb I had before, when I switched it in the first slot and took off the original module completely, laptot didn't boot at all. I haven't give up yet, so I've bought another one, this time it was KINGSTON SO-DIMM 8GB DDR3-1600MHz CL11, but still the same old story.

Is there any way to fix this issue? Thanks in advance.

Jindřich

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

Apologies for this, but without my researching too deeply a 32 bit Operating System will quite often only display and use 4Gb as it's maximum even if 8Gb is installed.

Therefore I use Piriform Speccy to tell me what I have

Memory slots
        Total memory slots    2
        Used memory slots    1
        Free memory slots    1
    Memory
        Type    DDR3
        Size    8192 MBytes
        Channels #    Single
        DRAM Frequency    798.4 MHz
        CAS# Latency (CL)    11 clocks
        RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)    11 clocks
        RAS# Precharge (tRP)    12 clocks
        Cycle Time (tRAS)    28 clocks
        Bank Cycle Time (tRC)    39 clocks

Perhaps you could try this.

Also I goto Kingston and Crucial websites and see their recommendations on what is available as an upgrade, it may involve another download and installation like speccy.

So please try some of the above ideas and give us any results.

• Dr_Thackery

I have Win 10 64-bit, so this shouldn't be a problem. I've also checked with the Kingston compatibility utility before I've purchased the ram module. What worries me is that when i take off the original ram and put other one in the same slot, the system wouldn't boot at all, just black screen. And it's "officialy" compatible module from reputable brand, not some chinese knockoff.

Unfortunately I've already sent the ram back in exchange for my money back, so I can't try Speccy with the second ram plugged in. My current status is this:

Memory slots
    Total memory slots 2
    Used memory slots 1
    Free memory slots 1
    Memory
    Type DDR3
    Size 4096 MBytes
    Channels # Single
    DRAM Frequency 799.9 MHz
    CAS# Latency (CL) 11 clocks
    RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 11 clocks
    RAS# Precharge (tRP) 11 clocks
    Cycle Time (tRAS) 28 clocks
    Command Rate (CR) 1T

I think I'm going to buy the exact model of ram I have already preinstalled in my laptop (crucial I guess), also try to update bios and I'll see, if it works, but Im afraid it won't. 

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

In some cases the extra memory gets allocated elsewhere, like graphics or virtual disk to speed thing up, so it will be interesting to see what speccy reports when both slots are populated.

• Dr_Thackery

If it was simply allocated elsewhere, why would the laptot not even boot with any other memory module installed but the original?

• CarmaDiem
    CarmaDiem Member Posts: 1 New User

I've the exact issue of the OP

Same notebook and I'm going to buy a new RAM of 8 GB but I'm scared from incompatibility.

The new one is a Kingston 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3L(PC3-12800) 1.35V SODIMM

The pre-allocated on ACER of stock is 4 Gb 800MHz (PC3-12800) 1.35V

I would to know which is the maximal speed this notebook can run. IMPORTANT

Maybe this difference of frequency could downgrade the 1600 one to 800 MHz and this wouldn't be so good.(I could switch the attual with the newest but I'm looking for a possible compatibility and to know the max speed)