Can't restore from USB on Acer Aspire E5

KelleyMcChes
KelleyMcChes Member Posts: 8 New User

Help! I backed up my Acer Aspire E5-551-T374's recovery partition to the USB with the erecovery software already installed on the computer. Later, after I re-partitioned the hard drive removing all of the partitions including the hidden recovery partition, I tried to restore it with the USB recovery stick. I plugged it in and set the USB as the first thing to boot in the BIOS. When the normal Acer boot logo came up, it stayed there until I force shut it off. I noticed that at some point it will shut off by itself if it is unplugged. The battery was not dead though. If anyone had this problem and they know what it is, that would be great!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

First of all, the HDD must be unallocated, that means no partitions, prior to use the USB erecovery.

then, have you pressed F12 at boot and choosed the USB as bootable device?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • KelleyMcChes

Just tried both of your reccomendations and I was still stuck at the Acer screen.

• IronFly

it looks like a bad USB flash drive, can you check it on another PC?

if it's faulty, the only way to recovery your PC is to buy Acer erecovery media:

Acer recovery media
    if you are in the US you can buy it:
    http://store.acer.com/store/aceramer/en_US/eRecovery

if you are outside the US, you must call/email your regional Acer support service:
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

• KelleyMcChes

It shouldn't be faulty because when I hookeed it up to a Linux recovery disk, it showed one fat32 partition with a boot and lsb flag on the flash drive.

Just checked the flash drive on another computer and it boots fine.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

You deleted the push button reset.  The factory default USB recovery drive relies on it (I think).

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj126997.aspx

To hopefully resolve the issue (if you have Windows 8.1), you can create a USB media drive and install Windows 8.1.  After you install Windows 8.1, you can use your factory default backup.

You can skip steps 13 and 14 below since you have a recovery USB.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Software-Solutions-and/Acer-S7-392-Factory-Image/m-p/362689#U362689

• JordanB

Or if you backed up your Acer apps, you can just do a clean install of Windows 8.1 using that Microsoft media link.....and then re-install the apps....or download them at acer.com

All of your drivers will be on Acer's website or windows update.

• KelleyMcChes

I am trying it now! I'll notify you when it is done to see if it works. It will take a while though with really slow internet!

• JordanB
    Ok good luck. I won't guarantee that your recovery drive will work, but at least you'll have a clean install of windows 8.1.
  • JordanB
    Now that I think of it, push button reset wouldn't be a factor because you should be able to install the recovery drive on a replacement hard drive. So disregard my push button reset theory.
  • KelleyMcChes

Would it be possible to hook up the hard drive to another computer and install it onto that? I know that Windows checks if the motherboard is the same but if the installatin is optimised for Acer computers then it wouldn't be a problem, right?

• IronFly

not the best practice.

if you will need to unplug the installed HDD on the PC to use as installation, plug the E5 HDD and the USB and hope it will work.

Have you tried different USB ports?

• KelleyMcChes

Yes, I have tried all of the USB ports

• IronFly

Just to test the USB recovery media, have you tried to boot from it on another PC?

just to check if it loads, then you can quit without installing.

• KelleyMcChes
    It does load on another PC. I tried to load Windows onto that computer and then boot the recovery drive but it did the same thing.
  • KelleyMcChes

Thank you for all of your help, but I am just going to send it back to Acer so they can restore it.

• JordanB

Yeah, I had the exact same problem as you (after using Windows 10 technical preview).  The only way I could get my recovery drive to work was to perform diskpart clean (twice), and then install a clean copy of Windows 8.1 using Microsoft's Windows 8.1 USB media.  After I did that, my recovery drive worked just fine.